Director of Product Management
Lever is at a key inflection point: we’ve built a successful, growth-stage company with a best-in-class product, but we’re by no means in maintenance mode. We’re looking to build the next big thing to help the world hire with conviction, and in order to do so, we need to bring on board Lever’s first-ever Director of Product Management.
Design is one of Lever’s core competencies, and we believe that bringing thoughtful, well-executed user-experiences to the workplace will be the key to displacing the status-quo of enterprise software. Built from the ground-up with user-centered design methodology and principles, Lever is the only hiring software that is mobilizing entire companies such as Netflix, Eventbrite, and Cirque du Soleil to effortlessly collaborate on hiring. We’re successfully bringing sales and marketing strategies to the talent industry for the first time to help change the way companies approach their most strategic challenge: building their teams.
As Director of Product Management, you will knit together the R&D and go-to-market teams in order to unify our product vision, strategy, and ability to get things done well and quickly. You’ll drive product decisions and partner with other R&D leaders to collaborate and deliver.
You excel at cross-functional collaboration and will work with your team to deliver value to users through product launches. You will seamlessly flow between high-level strategic planning and diving in to coach, mentor, and manage your incredible Product team (if we may say so, ourselves). You understand the nuances of not only teamwork, but also how _teams_ work and effectively and efficiently create teams that deliver. You are passionate about people development and have tactical ideas for bringing this to your team.
We’ve already begun building a world-class product-first organization and assembling the right team to begin scaling aggressively. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to shape the future of the team and the products we develop. We’re looking for a leader who will play a critical role in building something transformative and driving Lever’s success. Sound up your alley? Let’s talk
WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU'LL
- Complete Ramp Camp, Lever’s week-long version of onboarding. You’ll learn about all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You’ll also deliver on your first Lever project during this first week.
- Conduct or shadow user or customer exposure / interviews / training. Complete at least 20 touchpoints with users / customers, through shadowing Customer Success / Sales / Design.
- Become proficient in using 15Five, our performance management tool. You’ll review your direct reports’ objectives, monthly reports, and work with them in creating plans to achieve their goals.
- Up-level the frequency, quality, and impact in team communications.
- Source and Nurture 20 candidates for open roles on your team. You’ll use our own Product hiring goal as a forcing function to truly learn Lever the product.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU'LL
- Help the team hit its launch and forecast goals
- Put in place strong feedback mechanisms to keep team goals and org-initiatives on-track. Improve the Product team’s ability to provide more consistent and substantive feedback.
- Create a structure for leveling in Product Operations that includes a clear path to Product Management. You’ll also build out a program for identifying and training skills gaps for both teams. You’ll share this framework with the team and make adjustments based on feedback.
- Orchestrate a framework to involve the team and XF leaders in our next Prioritization Planning Cycle (semi-annual) and share Product goals to the company by the second week of the new half.
- Establish clear contributions from all members of the PM/Product Operations/Design teams, in researching and collecting inputs from cross-functional teams
- Lead the team in a method to score and prioritize disparate initiatives across each other; estimate forward execution capacity
- Partner with Design leadership to create the frameworks that synthesize and articulate our product strategies and investment areas and build them around an articulation of customer value. Facilitate the executive team through engaging in the tradeoffs; arrive at a final set of goals and projects to resource
- Partner with Sales, Customer Success, and Marketing to convert our product strategy and roadmap into assets, trainings, and deliverables that empower all teams to plan and set goals for the forward quarters
- Up-level the frequency, quality, and impact of company-wide communications re: R&D.
- Hire your first team member, through your Nurture campaigns or otherwise. You’ll partner with Recruiting to identify the correct profile, interview candidates, and add the right team member to your org.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS YOU'LL
- Demonstrate accountability to other departments by proving that your quarterly capacity estimates were within +/- 20% accuracy; share your learnings and progress with the rest of the R&D teams.
- At every new quarter, drive a strong cadence around team and individual goal-setting.
- Within 15 days into the new quarter, meet Lever’s overall management expectations around Team Impact Plans and Individual Impact Plans.
- Revisit these goals as a team regularly, at a cadence set by you, and revisit individual goals at least monthly through 15Five.
- Coach and develop one of our Product Operations team members to take on a PM role.
- Develop a method and track for promoting and ramping a Product Operations team member to PM in under 4 months. By the end of 4 months, they (with their project team) should have deployed their first project.
- Work with Eng leadership / Design leadership to measure productivity, forecasting of launch dates, and balance capacity. You’ll also drive the measurement of things that are hard to quantify, such as success of launch.
- Increase our velocity by +15%, measured by a methodology as determined by you, once you understand our baseline.
- Evolve Product’s analytical and metrics muscle. Manifest that in how we develop goals for projects and measure success of launches
WITHIN 12 MONTHS YOU'LL
- Prove that your quarterly capacity estimates were within +/- 10% accuracy; share your learnings and progress with the rest of the R&D teams
- After one year observing, coaching, and growing your org, develop a people development / talent promoting cycle that is scalable and transparent.
- Re-evaluate the Product Operations role and function to determine if it is relevant to the next year’s talent strategy. Add/Remove/Adjust roles and org in service of solving Lever’s next challenges.
- Partner with Marketing / Customer Success to select a metric to measure Customer Engagement. This will serve as the baseline for future improvements
- Improve that Customer Engagement metric by +10%
- Spread communication abilities and responsibilities to others on your team.
- Spread hiring manager ability and responsibilities to others on your team.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion. Take an inside look into life at Lever.
Back to top