Director of Product Management
WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU'LL
- Complete Ramp Camp, Lever’s week-long version of onboarding. You’ll learn about all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You’ll also deliver on your first Lever project during this first week.
- Conduct or shadow user or customer exposure / interviews / training. Complete at least 20 touchpoints with users / customers, through shadowing Customer Success / Sales / Design.
- Become proficient in using 15Five, our performance management tool. You’ll review your direct reports’ objectives, monthly reports, and work with them in creating plans to achieve their goals.
- Up-level the frequency, quality, and impact in team communications.
- Source and Nurture 20 candidates for open roles on your team. You’ll use our own Product hiring goal as a forcing function to truly learn Lever the product.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU'LL
- Help the team hit its launch and forecast goals
- Put in place strong feedback mechanisms to keep team goals and org-initiatives on-track. Improve the Product team’s ability to provide more consistent and substantive feedback.
- Create a structure for leveling in Product Operations that includes a clear path to Product Management. You’ll also build out a program for identifying and training skills gaps for both teams. You’ll share this framework with the team and make adjustments based on feedback.
- Orchestrate a framework to involve the team and XF leaders in our next Prioritization Planning Cycle (semi-annual) and share Product goals to the company by the second week of the new half.
- Establish clear contributions from all members of the PM/Product Operations/Design teams, in researching and collecting inputs from cross-functional teams
- Lead the team in a method to score and prioritize disparate initiatives across each other; estimate forward execution capacity
- Partner with Design leadership to create the frameworks that synthesize and articulate our product strategies and investment areas and build them around an articulation of customer value. Facilitate the executive team through engaging in the tradeoffs; arrive at a final set of goals and projects to resource
- Partner with Sales, Customer Success, and Marketing to convert our product strategy and roadmap into assets, trainings, and deliverables that empower all teams to plan and set goals for the forward quarters
- Up-level the frequency, quality, and impact of company-wide communications re: R&D.
- Hire your first team member, through your Nurture campaigns or otherwise. You’ll partner with Recruiting to identify the correct profile, interview candidates, and add the right team member to your org.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS YOU'LL
- Demonstrate accountability to other departments by proving that your quarterly capacity estimates were within +/- 20% accuracy; share your learnings and progress with the rest of the R&D teams.
- At every new quarter, drive a strong cadence around team and individual goal-setting.
- Within 15 days into the new quarter, meet Lever’s overall management expectations around Team Impact Plans and Individual Impact Plans.
- Revisit these goals as a team regularly, at a cadence set by you, and revisit individual goals at least monthly through 15Five.
- Coach and develop one of our Product Operations team members to take on a PM role.
- Develop a method and track for promoting and ramping a Product Operations team member to PM in under 4 months. By the end of 4 months, they (with their project team) should have deployed their first project.
- Work with Eng leadership / Design leadership to measure productivity, forecasting of launch dates, and balance capacity. You’ll also drive the measurement of things that are hard to quantify, such as success of launch.
- Increase our velocity by +15%, measured by a methodology as determined by you, once you understand our baseline.
- Evolve Product’s analytical and metrics muscle. Manifest that in how we develop goals for projects and measure success of launches
WITHIN 12 MONTHS YOU'LL
- Prove that your quarterly capacity estimates were within +/- 10% accuracy; share your learnings and progress with the rest of the R&D teams
- After one year observing, coaching, and growing your org, develop a people development / talent promoting cycle that is scalable and transparent.
- Re-evaluate the Product Operations role and function to determine if it is relevant to the next year’s talent strategy. Add/Remove/Adjust roles and org in service of solving Lever’s next challenges.
- Partner with Marketing / Customer Success to select a metric to measure Customer Engagement. This will serve as the baseline for future improvements
- Improve that Customer Engagement metric by +10%
- Spread communication abilities and responsibilities to others on your team.
- Spread hiring manager ability and responsibilities to others on your team.
Meet Some of Lever's Employees
Rachael chases performance bottlenecks in Lever’s software and squashes bugs in its open source framework. She also works on internal tools to make Lever’s teams more efficient.
Back to top