Director, Customer Success
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States.). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage: we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” by bringing our people-first culture to Toronto.
We’re looking for a key leader for our Customer Success (CS) team who will evolve and build a fast growing function within the company. We’re still new to the Toronto area but we’re not new to growing our business; that’s where you come in. We’ve recently blended our traditional customer success and renewal teams to create an account management function; you will help us evolve the approach, manage through the change, define success, lead the team to achieving, and ultimately directly contribute to the success of our customers as well as our top-line company revenue goals.
We’ll look to you to help grow the team, establish Key Performance Indicators and operating rhythm, accurately forecast business outcomes, and work effectively with your cross-functional partners both in Toronto as well as in our headquarters in San Francisco.
You will lead the Customer Success team responsible for the East region’s customer base and revenue goals. You will partner closely with the VP and the CS leadership team to develop functional execution, risk mitigation, sales and success strategies while managing a sub-team of your own. You will serve as the VP’s key advisor while bringing a high level of sales expertise to the broader CS leadership team. You will also be tasked with assisting the VP to pioneer our upmarket approach for supporting our largest and most visible, vocal and complex customers.
Right away, you’ll have the opportunity to continue to build and grow our Toronto-based team of engaged and seasoned CSMs which are responsible for subscription renewals, expansion sales (upselling/cross-selling), success activities (service offering deliverables); ultimately ensuring our customers ongoing success and adoption of our Lever products. You’ll also have the opportunity to pitch-in as needed in developing deep customer relationships, escalations, as well as work with other leaders across Lever to further our upmarket approach and product roadmap.
A key aspect of this leadership role is mentoring and coaching early-to-mid career Managers and CSMs; guiding and educating them on sales methodology, account management strategy, and ultimately ensuring they will be successful now and in the future as they continue to grow within their careers.
This is an excellent role for someone who has the competitiveness of a sales leader but also craves developing deep relationships and partnership with customers. You must also possess a passion for team building and enjoy being a change agent in a rapidly evolving function and organization. Are you ready to build a world-class customer success function?
Lever’s Customer Success Manager (CSM) team is a tight-knit and growing team with diverse backgrounds; we’re seasoned CSMs, account managers, salespeople, and even a few former recruiters. We’re charged with ensuring our customers are successful using Lever to recruit and hire top talent into their organizations. We work with some of the most innovative and unique companies across all industries from tech startups to world-famous traveling circuses to global non-profits. Ensuring our customers are successful also drives our companies year-over-year revenue and growth goals; it’s a win-win!
We’re also a team that is ready to continue our growth, ready for the challenge of re-imagining what this recent blending of functions looks like moving forward as we continue to evolve, and ready for a leader to help guide, coach, and mentor us as we develop too. We also like a good bottle of wine and celebrating each others’ successes.
Initially, your direct reports will consist of a Manager and small (but mighty) team of seasoned Strategic CSMs. You will report directly to the Vice President of Customer Success.
THE SKILL SET
- You are currently a senior-level Manager, Director, or comparable scope.
- You possess 5 or more years of functional leadership experience in either enterprise-level Sales and/or Customer Success; including accountability for renewals (recurring revenue) and revenue growth.
- Experience must include a track record of proven success in leading a function responsible for the entirety of the post-implementation customer lifecycle (including annual subscription renewal).
- Experience should also include a demonstrated expertise in strategic planning, sales forecasting & execution, revenue growth, and management of managers/seasoned professionals.
- Experience should also include hiring, training, and developing a high performing team.
- Have a strong background in coaching, mentorship, and skills development of both managers and individual contributors at various experience levels.
- Possess a background with a keen focus on supporting Enterprise-sized customers supported by a professional polish and business acumen necessary to interact across all levels of customers as well as internally (i.e., C-level to individual contributors and everyone in-between).
- Experience establishing strategic business relationships and comfort selling to the C-suite/executive level.
- Can demonstrate that they have strong operational skills, take a proactive approach to process improvement, and had previous experience building out processes and implemented strategies that helps support functional initiatives and business goals.
- Must-have attributes include hustle, grit/determination, entrepreneurial ambition, customer-centric mindset, comfort in ambiguity, and deep enterprise-level sales expertise.
- Interest in the HR technology space; you will become a subject matter expert quickly and continue to deepen your product and industry knowledge over time.
- Ability to be based primarily out of our Toronto office but also have the flexibility to accommodate occasional travel (both locally and/or internationally).
- Enterprise Software as a Service (SaaS) and/or HR technology industry experience is highly desirable but not required.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You'll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits in to Lever's broader organization.
- Complete Sales Ramp Camp and learn about selling at Lever.
- Assume leadership of the CSM team and meet with each of your team members individually to listen to their aspirations and challenges.
- Dive into Lever’s Lever by shadowing two recruiting team members in order to gain a baseline understanding of Lever the product as well as how recruiters use our tools.
- Partner with the Implementation team to understand how they currently work with the CSM team, what the handoff looks like and take notes on areas to streamline.
- Learn the recruiting space and all the market players involved in the HR Technology ecosystem, and Lever’s differentiators. Partner with Lever’s VP of Customer Success, a former talent leader themself, Lever’s VP to learn the ins and outs of our product suite.
- Schedule discovery meetings with Lever customers and power users - including recruiters, hiring managers, and execs to understand why they chose Lever and how they see us differentiated in the market.
- Understand the existing renewal process and how each team member structures their renewal cycles by holding regular 1:1 meetings with CSMs and listening in on calls.
- Establish and run weekly team meetings with your direct reports to track and tune results, impact, coaching and improvement.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Learn Lever the product inside and out and be comfortable demoing the entire product to your team.
- Benchmark and document current renewal performance metrics.
- Begin to identify areas for improvement and recommend steps to achieve those goals. Build a training plan for new reps to onboard when joining Lever.
- Build a sales knowledge training plan and playbook for existing reps to improve their general sales and demo skills. You’ll implement the plan but continue to adjust and manage that training moving forward.
- Create a framework on how your team will hit and exceed their monthly renewal and upsell goals.
- Set and plan the individual goals for your reports to hit on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Meet revenue goals in your first quarter.
- Demonstrate accuracy with monthly forecasting within 10% of your prediction; hold your team to high standards of data integrity.
- Advance our competitive intelligence and consultative selling efforts by updating your team’s playbook with the latest sales and engagement strategies.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Help the Recruiting team interview and close candidates for your team, as well as other other Customer Experiences and Services (CES) teams as well.
- Cultivate a great culture within your team - an exemplary brand, strong social ties, high energy - and pave the way for the entire org. This will include hosting a quarterly team offsite and soliciting feedback from the team on their needs and changes they’d like to see implemented.
- Shadow 2-5 sales calls on a monthly basis to understand where we’re improving and what we can work on to Increase your team’s win rates from ~85% to ~94%.
- Continue to evolve the “book of references” - encouraging CSMs to leverage and request customer references when re-signing contracts.
- Consistently obtain and exceed quota goals.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Have successfully executed on yearly quota - over 100% of the upsell plan.
- Cultivate a team of CSMs that is consistently closing upsells and renewals, with net retention increasing QoQ.
- Be a critical sounding board for marketing and other departments to gain insight into our customer requests and products.
- Review your year with the VP, Customer Success and plan for your next year.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Back to top