Backend Systems Engineer
As a Backend Systems Engineer, you’ll own improvements to existing services as Lever scales. We’ll look to you to implement best practices related to increasing usage and increasingly large enterprise accounts as Lever continues to drive up market and tackle more and more complex markets and customers. You’ll be charged with identifying and anticipating performance bottlenecks across all Lever services and applications. With this amount of responsibility and oversight, we will rely on you to build the bridge between Platform and Product Engineering.
You will teach peers patterns and best practices for production systems learned in previous roles as well as those gained from your broad understanding of Lever systems. You will learn from the unique challenges operating a large-scale realtime, eventually consistent data model. You’ll also improve user experience and engagement via performance and reliability improvements, while also helping Product Engineering to continue focusing on feature innovation and product differentiation. Our applications are powered by ShareDB, our distributed realtime application backend. ShareDB syncs all data via Operational Transformation, the same algorithm that powers Google Docs.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of distributed systems engineering and cares about scalable backend services. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. Our close-knit, cross-functional team is a great chance to grow your knowledge of different domains. Backend engineering works directly with product engineering to build new features and deliver value to customers as well as closely with infrastructure to instrument and deploy new services.
We are passionate about lots of things--reliable and observable backend services, continuously paying down technical debt, creating a great hiring experience, and a great user experience--and we love sharing those passions with each other.
THE TECH STACK
Learn more about our Tech Stack on the engineering blog.
WITHIN ONE MONTH, YOU'LL..
- Complete Lever’s new-hire training week (a.k.a. Ramp Camp), and learn what it means to build a powerful recruiting platform.
- Ramp up on Lever’s engineering stack by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering training sessions designed and presented by your peers.
- Join a project team and deploy your first changes to production!
WITHIN THREE MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Work with product engineers to build new features in backend services -- for example, adding a new API endpoint or updating our asynchronous task worker.
- Design, build, and augment Lever's backend services in Node.js to scale for large enterprise customers.
- Participate in engineering on-call rotation, diagnose and resolve production issues across Lever's services.
WITHIN SIX MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Collaborate with product engineering and infrastructure to provide input in architecture and implementation reviews of new features.
- Take ownership of improving Lever’s standards around stateless and stateful Node.js services.
- Work closely with product engineering to educate on best practices: how to write efficient database queries, patterns for more performant tasks, identify performance bottlenecks for large customer accounts.
WITHIN TWELVE MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Extrapolate trends in data use, load, etc. to anticipate upcoming bottlenecks in backend services.
- Contribute suggestions to roadmap for backend engineering at Lever.
- Confidently debug and design distributed systems.
- Help train and mentor new backend engineers who join the team!
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Back to top