Own improvements to existing services as Lever scales to increasing usage and increasingly large enterprise accounts. Identify and anticipate performance bottlenecks across all Lever services and applications. Establish best practices, bridging between platform and product engineering.
Backend engineering is part of Lever's small platform engineering team that works directly with our CTO. Backend engineers improve the overall performance, reliability, and ability to measure existing systems. They collaborate with the product engineering team, who own full stack implementation of new features.
You will be able to teach peers patterns and best practices for production systems learned in previous roles as well as those gained from a broad understanding of Lever systems. At the same time, you'll learn from the unique challenges operating a large scale realtime, eventually consistent data model. Our applications are powered by ShareDB, our distributed realtime application backend. ShareDB syncs all data via Operational Transformation, the same algorithm that powers Google Docs.
Improve user experience and engagement via performance and reliability improvements, help product engineering to continue focusing on feature innovation and product differentiation, and level up in a broad range of technical and communication skills.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Replace current long polling connection library with better supported library, such as SockJS
- Analyze data sent across the wire to clients and propose largest impact ways to reduce data size
- Implement more efficient indexing pipeline from MongoDB into Elasticsearch
- Implement reindexing of Elasticsearch for an account or all accounts without interruption of service
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Measure and increase throughput of email sync service
- Update reporting data pipeline to use continuous MongoDB oplog tailing
- Write improved data migrations framework
- Identify data quality issues and write tools to improve data consistency
- Work closely with product engineering to educate on best practices
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Profile and optimize most expensive taskqueue jobs and crons
- Optimize API for large accounts and increasing volume of operations
- Optimize search and database query performance
- Extrapolate trends in data use, load, etc. to anticipate upcoming bottlenecks
- Define tools and standards for product engineering to measure performance impact of releases
- Provide input in architecture reviews of new features
The Lever Story:
Lever builds software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $33 million. This year, we're doubling the team in size, and we're looking forward to supporting more great companies like Netflix, Eventbrite, and Lyft.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Back to top