Vice President, Associate General Counsel
About Lending Club
Lending Club opened in 2007 with one simple mission: create a more efficient, transparent and customer-friendly alternative to the traditional banking system that offers creditworthy borrowers lower interest rates and investors better returns. Since then we've built a trusted brand with a track record of delivering exceptional value and satisfaction to both borrowers and investors. Today, we're the world's largest online credit marketplace, and we're radically changing the way lending operates - $1 billion at a time. We're proud of the recognition we've received, including being named one of Forbes' America's Most Promising Companies three years in a row, a 2012 World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, and one of The World's 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by Fast Company in 2013. We're super conveniently located in downtown San Francisco, California.
Lending Club's Legal Department seeks an experienced legal leader for the position of VP, Associate General Counsel, with overall responsibility for our borrower and operations initiatives. Based in San Francisco, this senior lawyer will be a part of the legal leadership team, reporting to our General Counsel and manage a team of lawyers supporting our borrower and operations businesses. He or she will be the primary legal resource to our President and Head of Borrower Experience. An expert in consumer finance laws and regulations we seek a lawyer who anticipates and helps to resolve the issues that our growing business may face and someone who has the demonstrated ability to support delivery on the needs of Lending Club's primary product offerings. Being adept at working with cross-functional teams, able to work with senior business leadership and having the flexibility to manage a wide range of innovative projects proficiently is essential to this role.
- Lead the legal function supporting Lending Club's borrower programs, working closely with the Company's President, the head of the borrower experience
- Manage and mentor our borrower side legal team;
- Partnering closely with advising the business on streamlining processes and applying consumer finance regulations;
- Partnering with issuing banks for ongoing monitoring and refinement;
- Delivering legal counsel and expertise on the development of new products and services, consumer finance laws and regulations, marketing, account servicing and other business matters;
- Providing strong understanding of our investor business to properly coordinate and oversee the interaction of our borrower and investor businesses.
- Providing leadership on the development and implementation of operational and risk management processes and procedures;
- Partnering collaboratively to identify issues and share potential concerns and ideas with team members;
- Working closely with issuing bank partners on marketing review, partner contracts and new product launches;
- Providing strategic support for compliance, risk and internal audit groups;
- Managing the successful delivery of services by outside counsel; and
- Driving and executing special projects in support of key objectives of the Legal and Compliance teams.
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials;
- State bar member in good standing;
- At least 15-20 years of legal experience, including foundational training in a national law firm and in-house legal department experience, demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility;
- Deep expertise in consumer finance laws and regulations applicable to loans made through Lending Club's platform, including Fair Lending, TILA/Regulation Z, ECOA/Regulation B, FCRA, FDCPA, SCRA, BSA/AML, EFTA and/or GLBA
- Experience in a relevant federal regulator's legal department is a plus;
- A business and solution-oriented approach to resolving issues;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and influencing skills;
- Proven ability to develop collaborative relationships with internal partners and external customers, with comfort interacting with associates across departments and job levels;
- Ability and desire to develop expertise in new or unfamiliar areas of law;
- Desire to pitch in and to learn new areas of the business and legal practice; and
- Propensity to thrive in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage aggressive deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Comfort in a innovative, disruptive, test and learn culture; and
- Impeccable integrity.
Lending Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Lending Club promotes a drug-free workplace. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
No agencies please.
Meet Some of Lending Club's Employees
Senior Supervisor, Member Support
Tania makes sure borrowers have a great experience with Lending Club. She’s constantly looking ahead to ensure her team is fully staffed and ready to meet every borrower’s needs.
Back to top