Sr Corporate Counsel - Litigation
LendingClub Corporation (NYSE: LC) ("Lending Club") opened in 2007 with one simple mission: create a more efficient, transparent and customer-friendly alternative to the traditional banking system that offers creditworthy borrowers lower interest rates and investors better returns. Since then, we've built a trusted brand with a track record of delivering uncommon value and satisfaction to both borrowers and investors. Today, we're the world's largest online credit marketplace, and we're radically changing the way lending operates - $1 billion at a time.
The Senior Corporate Counsel will lead litigation and regulatory investigations for the Company and will counsel on identifying and managing risk. This role will report to the Senior Vice President, Legal and will be a key contributor to the organization's legal oversight by leading complex legal projects and advising leadership on a variety of legal issues related to the growth of the businesses.
With the General Counsel and other members of the legal department, you will provide counseling on strategic and major business initiatives and decisions of importance to LendingClub, and, as appropriate, contribute to the corporate strategic planning process.
This position requires a combination of strong leadership and operational management skills, along with the agility to effectively operate in a fast-changing environment. By nature, you have a bias for action, are strategically dedicated, dynamic and personable.
The role includes running litigation matters, including: securities and corporate governance, corporate finance, contracts and commercial transactions, real estate, financial services regulations, labor and employment, and intellectual property. This position will be the primary legal support for all investigations and complex litigation.
- Collaborating with business, compliance, and legal team members to provide strategic guidance and solutions to protect and mitigate risk to the organization.
- Efficiently resolve investigations and lawsuits, and direct and supervise all aspects of outside counsel relationships, including staffing, litigation and investigations strategy, budgets and invoices, compliance with outside counsel guidelines, and work product.
- Manage and facilitate responses to subpoenas, civil investigative demands, or other inquiries.
- Provide substantive updates to internal and external partners on pending or potential litigation.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance relevant to role and risks to organization.
- Setting and communicating standards, developing training/communications to provide awareness and understanding of eDiscovery, records retention and best practices related to litigation, either directly or through collaboration with internal colleagues.
- Prepare employees for deposition, trial or other events relating to pending matters.
- Attend hearings, trials, and arbitrations relating to litigation matters.
- JD with excellent academic credentials.
- A member in good standing of a Bar in one or more states.
- Ability to immediately assume significant independent responsibility.
- Experience leading a team of legal professionals.
- 6-8 years of experience at a law firm or comparable corporate environment.
- Strong experience in litigation and litigation management.
- Experience with regulatory litigation and financial services industry disputes.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills, including a team-first attitude
- Well organized, self-motivated and hardworking, with the ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment and manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- A high-level of intellectual, professional and interpersonal agility and flexibility, combined with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with business clients and other legal department members, including good judgment that balances legal requirements with practical business needs
- Team oriented, with a strong sense of humor, unquestioned ethics and integrity, and high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Integrity, beating able to act as a voice of reason, and good judgment are required.
Moderate travel may be required, depending on the stage of any given litigation matter.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Lending Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Lending Club promotes a drug-free workplace. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
No agencies please.
See Inside the Office of LendingClub
Lending Club (NYSE: LC) is the world’s largest online credit marketplace, connecting borrowers and investors. Lending Club uses technology to lower costs, passing the savings on to borrowers in the form of lower rates—and to investors in the form of solid returns. The market leader by a wide margin, Lending Club has helped more than a million Americans achieve their financial goals to date.
Back to top