Sr Big Data Operations Engineer
Lending Club (NYSE: LC) opened in 2007 with one simple mission: create a more efficient, transparent and customer-friendly alternative to the traditional banking system that offers creditworthy borrowers lower interest rates and investors better returns. Today, we’re the world’s largest online credit marketplace, and we’re radically changing the way lending operates. We’re proud of the recognition we’ve received, including being named a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, a CNBC Disruptor 50, and one of The World’s 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by Fast Company. We’re conveniently located in downtown San Francisco, California.
About the Team
The Big Data Operations team at Lending Club is responsible for ensuring the smooth operation and scaling of Hadoop clusters. We have an agile culture that provides the opportunity to grow in their careers and solve numerous technical challenges. The environment is still in its infancy so you will be an integral part in helping guide the direction of Lending Club’s Big Data infrastructure as we enter the next phase of growth. We have big plans and need awesome folks like you to help achieve those ambitious goals. You’ll get the chance to take on interesting problems as part of a fast-paced, highly collaborative team. It’s imperative that you approach administration with an emphasis on repeatability, testability and consistency. The demands of this system will only continue to grow as we attack more use cases, add more functionality and grow the user base.
A successful candidate for this position will be a motivated self-starter who is excited about learning new technologies and also possesses great work ethic and a positive “get things done” attitude. Troubleshooting and analytical problem solving should be in your DNA with the big picture in mind, but at the same time has the ability to deep-dive into details to solve complex problems.
- Own and manage critical enterprise Hadoop infrastructure.
- Optimize, tune, and scale the Hadoop ecosystem to meet SLA requirements.
- Perform troubleshooting and in-depth analysis of issues and provide clear, permanent solutions.
- Investigate emerging technologies in Big Data for consideration and implementation.
- Participate and provide recommendations in capacity planning, high availability and disaster recovery discussions.
- Contribute to the evolving architecture to meet changing requirements of scaling, reliability, performance, and manageability.
- Collaborate with the engineering and data teams to understand application requirements and recommend best practices.
- Establish and implement database security and access control policies.
- Be part of on-call rotation.
- At least 4 years experience operating Hadoop services, preferably in a large-scale production environment.
- Deep understanding of the Hadoop ecosystem (YARN, Oozie, MapReduce, Zookeeper, HBASE, HDFS, Hive, Sqoop, etc.)
- Strong background in Linux Administration (preferred CentOS/Redhat).
- Experience with automation/configuration management using either Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt or an equivalent.
- Good scripting/coding experience with any of the following: Python, Ruby, Java or Scala.
- Experience building infrastructure and operating services on a public cloud platform, preferably AWS.
- BS degree in computer science or equivalent related work experience.
- Familiarity with Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, ElasticSearch, etc.
- Familiarity with networking (DNS and Bind administration, TCP/IP, security, network topology and IP protocols).
- Familiarity with Databases (MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL).
Why Join Us?
We offer all the important stuff like competitive salaries, equity, 100% paid medical and dental benefits, a 401K match, great food, game rooms, and a convenient location in downtown SF. More importantly, we’re the clear market leader, which gives us awesome momentum. As one of our employees put it: “Many companies talk about reshaping an industry, but Lending Club is one of the few that is actually achieving this lofty goal. Working here is definitely a chance to be a part of something special.”
Back to top