Principal Data Scientist
Lending Club (NYSE: LC) opened in 2007 with one simple mission: create a more efficient, transparent and customer-friendly alternative to the traditional banking system that offers creditworthy borrowers lower interest rates and investors better returns. Today, we're the world's largest online credit marketplace, and we're radically changing the way lending operates - $1 billion at a time. We're proud of the recognition we've received, including being named one of Forbes' America's Most Promising Companies three years in a row, a 2012 World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, and one of The World's 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by Fast Company in 2013. We're conveniently located in downtown San Francisco, California.
Why Join Us?
We offer all the important stuff like competitive salaries, equity, 100% paid medical and dental, and because we've been around longer we also have stuff like great food, game rooms, a super convenient location in downtown SF and a 401K match. More importantly, we're the clear market leader, which gives us awesome momentum. As Forbes put it, "While not often thought of as a "sharing economy" company, given the massive size of the financial industry Lending Club could end up being one of the most disruptive–and largest–companies in this sector." We think one of our own employees put it best: "Many companies talk about reshaping an industry, but Lending Club is one of the few that is actually achieving this lofty goal. Growth comes in monthly leaps that just seem to keep accelerating, leading to ever-larger opportunities. There is an intriguing focus on how to get more efficient and do bigger things. Working here is definitely a chance to be a part of something special."
Data, and lots of it, is at the core of Lending Club's business. We use our rapidly growing dataset to understand the market, make credit decisions, predict performance, optimize ROI, and define product strategy. As part of the Data Solutions organization, the Principal Data Scientist will help us build off of big data analytic capabilities as well as partner with various business departments to find new ways to use data to drive the business.
- Design and develop key metrics to measure product quality, business growth, loan performance, credit risk and investment returns.
- Partner with various business functions( operations, finance, credit, etc.) to formulate and define challenges, solve problems, and identify opportunities.
- Build data science models to understand the market, make credit decisions, optimize ROI, improve customer experience and engagement, and define product strategy.
- Present data science insights to business decision makers and suggest action items.
- Collaborate with engineers to implement data science models into production.
- 8+ years in Data Science—leveraging large data environment, programmatic techniques and analytic methods to solve complex business problems.
- Advanced degree in mathematics, statistics, operation research, computer science or other quantitative fields.
- Comprehensive knowledge in statistics and machine learning.
- Hands on/advanced experience with SQL, Stat packages (SAS, R, etc), and common data processing/programming languages (Python).
- Ability to explain data science insights to people with and without quantitative background
- Ability to contribute independently, as well as collaborate in a team.
Nice to have: Big Data toolstack / experience.
Meet Some of Lending Club's Employees
Senior Supervisor, Member Support
Tania makes sure borrowers have a great experience with Lending Club. She’s constantly looking ahead to ensure her team is fully staffed and ready to meet every borrower’s needs.
Back to top