DevOps Engineer - Big Data
Lending Club (NYSE: LC) opened in 2007 with one simple mission: create a more efficient, transparent and customer-friendly alternative to the traditional banking system that offers creditworthy borrowers lower interest rates and investors better returns. Today, we're the world's largest online credit marketplace, and we're radically changing the way lending operates. We're proud of the recognition we've received, including being named a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, a CNBC Disruptor 50, and one of The World's 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by Fast Company. We're conveniently located in downtown San Francisco, California.
About the Team
The Big Data Operations team is responsible for maximum possible uptime of our Big Data platform. We are building tools and defining operational processes that empower our Data engineers and scientists to utilize the platform to its fullest potential so that we don't get a page in the middle of night because a critical piece of our Big Data infrastructure went down. Our team is working to eliminate the popular phrases like "we're blocked because the operations team is busy" or "we need someone from Operations because we don't have access to do that".
Our goal is to provide greater visibility into the operational telemetry data via collecting logs and metrics from various sources. We are looking for a team member that can bring the right amount of development and operational experience to help us with these complex problems.
What you'll do:
- Monitoring, administration and day-to-day operations of multiple Big Data clusters across data centers and AWS
- Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack – hardware, software, application and network
- Build new tools and add features to existing toolset to remove "the human intervention" for day-to-day operations and monitoring
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams of engineers, QA, data scientists and business users to accomplish objectives
- Take part in a 24X7 on-call rotation.
You may be a fit for this role if you're:
- Self-driven and take extreme ownership of initiatives to make pragmatic decisions
- Able to wear multiple hats when necessary and are willing to go extra mile to get the job done
- Someone with an excellent positive attitude - they're contagious!
What you'll have:
- Proficiency in *nix systems
- Strong foundation of basic networking concepts
- Good understanding of all aspects of JRE & JVM
- Hands-on operational experience in managing JVM services in production
- Experience with providing and implementing monitoring solutions based on "Logs, Metrics & Graphs" – Splunk, NewRelic, Wavefront, Graphite etc.
- Strong foundation of basic Big Data technologies – HDFS, YARN, Mapreduce
- Hands-on experience with deploying, managing, and monitoring Hadoop eco systems (HDFS, YARN, Hive) in production environment
- Hands-on experience in Hadoop platform and data security processes and technologies – Kerberos, Apache Ranger, AWS IAM, etc
- Good understanding about the basics of SQL (joins etc)
- Proficiency in Bash & Java
- Ability to do post-mortem if something bad happens to your systems. Identify what went wrong and provide detailed RCA.
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience with any configuration management and remote execution tools such as Chef, Puppet, SaltStack etc.
- Hands-on experience with Hive, Spark, Presto and similar tools for SQL-like exploration of large-scale data sets
- Basic knowledge of AWS cloud computing platform
- Experience in building/managing EMR clusters in AWS.
Why Join Us?
We offer all the important stuff like competitive salaries, equity, 100% paid medical and dental, and because we've been around longer we also have stuff like great food, game rooms, a super convenient location in downtown SF and a 401K match. More importantly, we're the clear market leader, which gives us awesome momentum. As Forbes put it, "While not often thought of as a "sharing economy" company, given the massive size of the financial industry Lending Club could end up being one of the most disruptive–and largest–companies in this sector." We believe one of our own employees put it best: "Many companies talk about reshaping an industry, but Lending Club is one of the few that is actually achieving this lofty goal. Growth comes in monthly leaps that just seem to keep accelerating, leading to ever-larger opportunities. There is an intriguing focus on how to get more efficient and do bigger things. Working here is definitely a chance to be a part of something special."
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Lending Club's Employees
Senior Supervisor, Member Support
Tania makes sure borrowers have a great experience with Lending Club. She’s constantly looking ahead to ensure her team is fully staffed and ready to meet every borrower’s needs.
Back to top