The Vice President Technology, Engineering will be responsible for our portfolio of custom applications that support LegalZoom's current and future businesses. The VP Technology, Engineering will be providing leadership for a globally diverse staff of full-time and contract professionals for several development areas within the technology organization and serve as an integral part in shaping and influencing multiple IT teams. In this role, the VP will build a technology road-map for all of our development efforts focused on Product Management and Marketing. This position will work with various technology teams to optimize and standardize development practices, processes and application architectures aligning to the overall technology strategy and direction. This position will collaborate with senior business leaders, as well as functional areas and will be responsible for leading a staff of full-time and contract professionals in multiple locations globally. This position is an excellent opportunity for the VP to shape the future of LegalZoom's systems focused on providing value for our direct to consumer and SMB customers.
The VP Technology, Engineering will partner with the Chief Technology Officer and key organizational leaders to provide the strategic approach, capabilities and principles needed to create and sustain a high performing software engineering function within the technology organization. The VP will build and promote practices within the engineering organization that will drive accountability, scalability, stability and continual improvement to support the strategic direction of a multi-channel, web-based, off-line, high transaction volume and consumer facing service oriented company.
The Vice President must also have the ability to establish an operating model that will create a team of in-house and partner resources. The management of those partnerships within the model will be critical to the success of the VP and will be a key responsibility.
What you'll do:
Overall responsibility for the definition, organization and planning, controls and execution of complex work efforts to deliver products to partners and customers within defined constraints for time, cost and quality/scope. These responsibilities include:
- Responsible for managing a globally distributed teams.
- Responsible for the design, development, and implementation of new products and features while efficiently collaborating with and managing all stakeholders
- Accountability for all aspects of detailed application architecture, software design, development and deployment of LegalZoom's applications
- Ability to offer strategic guidance on application architecture, solutions, integration strategies, governance, quality assurance and business support processes
- Responsible for aligning engineering teams across a diverse set practices, technologies and toolsets into a cohesive standards based organization
- Responsible for a forward looking roadmap in that increases business capabilities, improves IT operational stability and reduces time of delivery based on current and future trends
- Plan and execute development projects while ensuring that teams have necessary product knowledge, technical specifications, direction and resourcing to deliver projects on an aggressive, but achievable timeline
- Continuously improve existing software architecture and applications while maintaining service levels and high code quality
- Influence and implement change strategies that will improve end to end execution of technology projects to reduce cost, improve quality and gain efficiencies
- Effectively partner with the Chief Architects and other technology leaders to ensure communication and collaboration across a diverse operations and IT community and form relationships that enable shared solutions across the enterprise
- Provide a transformational technology vision and leadership that cultivates a culture of empowerment and accountability
- Responsible for attracting, developing and retaining engineering staff focused on solution architecture, process improvement and software engineering
- Lead and coach directors and managers in leading their teams to high levels of performance
- Continuous improvement of LegalZoom's software development lifecycle
- Risk Management:
- Communication management that ensures timely and appropriate generation, collection, dissemination, storage and disposition of key performance KPI's.
- Identifies risks and risk plans; manages and mitigates risks
- Adherence to all company and departmental policies and procedures.
- Participate in information security audits conducted by external auditors
- Metrics analysis: Identify, capture, analysis and improvement of key indicators of success, and leveraging these to improve the delivery of software
- Extraordinary dynamic leadership capability including demonstrated ability to be a change agent and influence the direction of the organization while maintaining a culture where associates are recognized as important assets to the organization
- Ability to link technology vision and strategy with overall business objectives and communicate rationale in a compelling, concise manner
- Deep understanding of the Agile software development methodology
- Experience in setting technology direction with consistent track record delivering large scale IT solutions within a matrixed environment
- Experience with leading the development of multi-channel content management and delivery solutions, cloud based applications, and development of APIs and web applications
- Ability to demonstrate a repertoire of skills such as scheduling, prioritizing, organizing, planning, problem solving, decision-making, financial savvy, attention to detail and follow through
- Capacity to maintain a big picture, strategic outlook while having the ability to iterate from company strategy to product development and planning
We are unable to accept applicants who currently or in the future will require a work Visa.
LegalZoom is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity.
Meet Some of LegalZoom's Employees
Customer Care Manager
Hae manages the overall operations of the Customer Care Team by supporting employees and reviewing call center metrics to ensure customers get fast, consistent service.
Back to top