Sr. Managing Editor
At LegalZoom, content is king (and queen, bishop, knight, rook, and pawn). From our ads to our website, landing pages, emails, articles, ebooks and more, what we say and how we say it is as important-if not more so-as what we sell. Our content is carefully crafted to entice, explain, or encourage people to take action from a persona that is empathetic, illuminating, optimistic, and steadfast.
As our Sr. Managing Editor, you would be given the reigns to help steer our content marketing. Working with internal stakeholders and freelance contributors, you'd shepherd the content through the process from beginning to end, using our content collaboration platform. You'd oversee a team of content creators, (freelance writers, graphic designers, content and video editors, videographers, video production agencies, or other third-party vendors), providing clear, succinct direction to guide contributors as well as providing clear and direct feedback when asking for changes. You'd be responsible for ensuring the content rises to the level of quality we've established, that it adheres to our brand guidelines, and that it conforms to our legal standards.
Ideally, you are passionate about content and committed to an excellent customer experience. You can process complex concepts, develop creative ideas (and defend them), while being open to feedback and flexible to change direction. You have exceptional writing and editing skills-not just copyediting, but line editing and developmental editing-as well as strong research and proofreading skills. You have a talent for wordsmithing and a knack for skillfully massaging content to make it fit a certain space, or flow better. You have an eye for the visual-photography, illustration, graphics, layouts, videos-as well as an ear for audible (voice or music). You are comfortable working in multimedia formats as projects require.
What you'll be responsible for:
- Oversee creation of original content including articles, guides, emails, ebooks, and more.
- Create and execute on content ideas for each business line through storylines and be comfortable articulating and selling your vision to others.
- Manage content production and workflow from inception through completion, ensuring all stakeholders are aligned, through our internal content platform, Contently.
- Manage a team of freelance content editors and writers, ensuring our established rules for style and tone are followed, the subject matter is factually accurate, and business objectives are met.
- Provide regular updates on content effectiveness and ROI.
- Collaborate with Sr. Producer and Director on broader multi-media content marketing campaigns.
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders through the platform to ensure compliance with legal and brand requirements.
- Manage and grow our pool of freelance writers and contributors as needed with appropriate experience and subject matter expertise.
- Post and/or manage content in Drupal, our content management system.
- Collaborate with various team members in each business unit and with third-party vendors.
- Manage contracts and/or payments to freelancers.
- Contribute ideas to improve content production process/workflow.
- Conduct periodic audits of existing content, ensuring quality and consistency of content.
- Perform competitive content gap analysis to reveal new content angles/directions.
- Oversee our style guide, improving it when needed.
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years in content creation and production.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in English, journalism, or related field.
- Excellent understanding of content marketing and content strategy.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Excellent proofreading skills.
- Understanding of SEO best practices.
- Experience with HTML coding.
- Experience with content management systems, such as Drupal.
- Highly skilled in proofreading, following AP style.
- Strong visual design sense and the ability to articulate visual direction to designers.
- Video production experience a plus.
- A team player who enjoys collaboration-ability to work both independently and as part of a team is essential.
- A self-starter with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- A positive, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude and a good sense of humor.
- Experience working in Contently or similar content collaboration platform a plus.
- Familiarity with the law and legal processes a plus.
Published samples of your work are required.
LegalZoom is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity.
Meet Some of LegalZoom's Employees
Customer Care Manager
Hae manages the overall operations of the Customer Care Team by supporting employees and reviewing call center metrics to ensure customers get fast, consistent service.
Back to top