Senior Software Engineer
We are looking for a Senior level Engineer to be a key member of the engineering team, helping us to improve and scale our existing architecture and systems. This position will report directly to the VP of Engineering.
- You are excited and passionate about new and emerging technologies in web and software development.
- You take responsibility for code quality and proliferate best practices across the development team through code reviews and testing.
- You seek out and advocate for architectural improvements to minimize pain points within our infrastructure and code base.
- You strive to automate all processes and focus on scale.
- You are a natural collaborator and work with team members and product owners to deliver quality features.
- You believe in continuous delivery and iterating on code and features.
- You are interested in using analytics to derive insights through software.
- You are able to manage your own time and are hungry to contribute and learn.
- You are excited to work at a growing company and make an impact through food transparency.
About you in the role:
- Go-to expert in one area of the codebase; understands the broad architecture of the entire system.
- Provides technical advice and weighs in on technical decisions that impact other teams or the company at large.
- Takes initiative to identify and solve important problems, coordinating with others on cross-cutting technical issues.
- Identifies and proactively tackles technical debt before it grows into debt that requires significant up-front work to resolve.
- Sets direction at the project/service level and consistently influences decision-making at the Pillar level.
- Makes others better through code reviews, thorough documentation, technical guidance and mentoring.
- Understands the tradeoffs between technical, analytical, and product needs and leads to solutions that take all of these needs into account.
- Identifies and proposes strategies around technical problems affecting their team, communicates standards and gets buy-in on solutions.
- Understands and evangelizes our development philosophies:
- Distributed Systems, SaaS
- Domain Driven Design
- Event-Based Architecture
- Code maintainability, SOLID Principles
- Don't overengineer the solution
- Discuss and learn from failure
- Previous experience and familiarity with our technology stack:
- Java 8, Spring Boot
- AngularJS, ReactJS
- SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL (DynamoDB, Redis)
- Search and analytics (Apache Solr, Elasticsearch)
- AWS (EC2, RDS, SWF, S3)
- Messaging (SQS, SNS, RabbitMQ)
- Integration/ETL frameworks (Apache NiFi, Spring Batch/Integration)
- Rule Systems (Drools)
- Continuous delivery (Elastic Beanstalk, CircleCI, Terraform, Ansible)
Label Insight was founded with the mission of helping consumers understand what's in the products they use and consume. Today, our world class, venture backed, SaaS data platform is solving transparency for the entire industry. Our unique team is made up of talented engineers and data scientists, who work alongside food science and nutrition experts and product formulation specialists, who enable the enriched attribution capability of our tools. We've also attracted top senior executive talent with decades of leadership experience to help manage our rapid growth and scale.
- Transparency : We're transparent and open about our work.
- Collaboration : We're team players. We support and trust our co-workers, celebrate each other's wins and learn from each other's failures. We work to create an environment where everyone can thrive.
- Iteration and Innovation : We're not afraid to challenge assumptions, make suggestions for better solutions, try new ideas, or take smart risks. We challenge the status quo, and feel safe to make mistakes knowing we can learn from them rather than repeat them.
- Intellectual Honesty and Humility : We pursue the best answer, not proving ourselves right. We are aware of our own biases and admit when we're wrong. We're willing to ask for help when we need it.
- Accountability : We take responsibility for our own work quality, problems and solutions, and how our actions affect those around us.
- Quality Driven : We strive for quality in our work and our approach to our role. We make data-driven decisions.
Perks of the job:
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Flexible work hours
- Kitchen stocked with snacks, drinks, a kegerator and more!
- Casual, dog-friendly, open-layout workspace
- Company subsidized Health Insurance, and 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Catered team lunches every other week
- Mentorship opportunities
- Regular team events and happy hours
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
Check out more about Label Insight, our culture, and our employees here .
Meet Some of Label Insight's Employees
Back to top