Director of Engineering
About the role:
Our Engineering team is lean, yet effective. As the Director of Engineering you will helping us to develop and deploy new strategies for building a high velocity, high performance and high quality development organization. This position will report directly to the VP of Engineering.
- You are excited and passionate about new and emerging technologies in web and software development.
- You take responsibility for code quality and proliferate best practices across the development team through code reviews and testing.
- You seek out and advocate for architectural improvements to minimize pain points within our infrastructure and code base.
- You strive to automate all processes and focus on scale.
- You are a natural collaborator and work with team members and product owners to deliver quality features.
- You believe in continuous delivery and iterating on code and features.
- You are interested in using analytics to derive insights through software.
- You are able to manage your own time and are hungry to contribute and learn.
- You are excited to work at a growing company and make an impact through food transparency.
About you in the role:
- Collaborates across functional areas to define, prioritize, and ensure implementation of specific innovations to improve technical functionality in support of business needs, efficiencies, and revenue.
- Able to communicate technical concepts to business stakeholders as well as communicate business objectives to the technical team.
- Leverages past experience and uses strong communication skills to collaborate effectively with all stakeholders including customers, senior management, and other business leaders.
- Capable of jumping in to help debug and triage critical systems as needed.
- Proactively nurtures the talent of the senior staff in their areas.
- Builds and supports high functioning, motivated teams.
- Supports technical innovation and leads the creation, continual refinement, and active enforcement of our development standards.
- Fosters an organization that understands how to balance technical debt with business goals.
- Contributes to architectural direction by asking the right questions to ensure architecture matches business needs for the area.
- Develops and deploys new strategies for building a high velocity, high performance, and high quality development organization.
- Flexible: ably navigates within ambiguity; can operate effectively at various levels of abstraction.
- Humility: low ego; engenders trust; respectful.
- Understands and evangelizes our development philosophies:
- Distributed Systems, SaaS
- Domain Driven Design
- Event-Based Architecture
- Code maintainability, SOLID Principles
- Don’t overengineer the solution
- Discuss and learn from failure
- Previous experience and familiarity with our technology stack:
- Java 8, Spring Boot
- AngularJS, ReactJS
- SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL (DynamoDB, Redis)
- Search and analytics (Apache Solr, Elasticsearch)
- AWS (EC2, RDS, SWF, S3)
- Messaging (SQS, SNS, RabbitMQ)
- Integration/ETL frameworks (Apache NiFi, Spring Batch/Integration)
- Rule Systems (Drools)
- Continuous delivery (Elastic Beanstalk, CircleCI, Terraform, Ansible)
Who we are:
Label Insight is high-growth technology company founded with the mission of helping CPG companies and retailers to help their consumers understand what’s in the products they use and consume. Our world class SaaS data platform is transforming the way brands and retailers interact with and share product data in order to bring product transparency to the consumer.
Our team is unique because it’s comprised not only of tech engineers and data scientists, but food science, nutrition experts and product formulation specialists, that enable the enriched attribution capability of our tools. We’ve also attracted top senior executive talent with decades of leadership experience to help manage our rapid growth and scale.
As a team, we share a common set of values: We are innovative problem solvers. We believe in transparency, both in our product and in our work. We have curious minds and aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo. We value scientific inquiry. We aren’t afraid to take risks, and fail fast to learn fast and improve fast. We embrace uniqueness. We are lifelong learners and we value intellectual honesty.
Perks of the job:
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Flexible work hours
- Kitchen stocked with snacks, drinks, a kegerator and more!
- Casual, dog-friendly, open-layout workspace
- Company subsidized Health Insurance, and 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Catered team lunches every other week
- Mentorship opportunities
- Regular team events and happy hours
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
Check out more about Label Insight, our culture, and our employees here.
Meet Some of Label Insight's Employees
Data Transformation Manager
Brooke is responsible for the team that deconstructs information from a product label in order to build out product attribution and enrich the data with a range of additional insights, not typically included on the packaging.
Back to top