Technologist - 3rd Shift (Westborough, MA)
- Westborough, MA
Are you looking for a career that offers opportunities for growth, continual development, professional challenge, and the chance to make a real difference? Are you an experienced Medical Lab Professional or desire to start your career in Medical Lab Science? If so, LabCorp wants to speak with you about exciting opportunities to join our team as a Technologist in Westborough, MA. In this position, you will work in a fast paced, customer focused, and challenging environment, and will be a part of our overall mission at LabCorp: "Improving Health, Improving Lives" as we combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
As you may know, LabCorp was the first national laboratory to launch molecular testing for the virus that causes COVID-19 and we have performed over 18 million PCR tests to date.
The role focuses primarily on COVID-19 PCR testing in the Molecular department of our Clinical Laboratory, where you will perform both automated and manual testing with the overall goal of providing results that will be used for the diagnosis and management of COVID-19. Along with testing thousands of COVID-19 samples per day, we have developed an at-home testing kit to give the public easier access to the diagnostic test. We are also conducting antibody tests which provides information to our patients as to whether they have been exposed to the virus or not. Ultimately, these test results will be studied to better understand the virus in hopes of developing better treatments, and a future vaccine.
The coronavirus is a Biosafety Level 2 disease (BSL2), similar to other blood borne pathogens tested at LabCorp, allowing us to utilize our existing universal safety policies and procedures that protects our employees. All COVID-19 specimens are tested under a hood which protects our employees from being exposed to any vapors, dusts, gases, or fumes from the specimens, as well as any possible splashes to the body. All employees are provided with the proper PPE including face shields and masks, lab coats, and gloves. We strictly enforce the use of PPE at all times, as well as frequently changing and cleaning of all the laboratory equipment. In addition, we have increased the frequency of the cleaning crews within the laboratory to ensure a safe environment for all of our employees. We pride ourselves on the safety measures taken within our facility to protect our employees who are dedicating their time to fighting this virus and making the world a safer place.
Multiple openings and shifts available with the opportunity for a shift differential incentive in addition to the base rate for 2nd and 3rd shift schedules! Open to both entry level and experienced candidates meeting the listed requirements.
- Determine the acceptability of specimens for testing according to established criteria
- Perform routine and complex technical procedures and functions according to departmental Standard Operating Procedures
- Monitor, operate and troubleshoot instrumentation to ensure proper functionality
- Demonstrate the ability to make technical decisions regarding testing and problem solving.
- Prepare, test and evaluate new reagents or controls
- Report accurate and timely test results in order to deliver quality patient care
- Perform and document preventive maintenance and quality control procedures
- Identify and replenish testing bench supplies as necessary
- Assist with processing of specimens when needed
- Maintain a safe work environment and wear appropriate personal protective equipment
- B.A./B.S. in Biology, Chemistry, or related scientific discipline
- Minimum 1 year of relevant laboratory experience, post completion of Bachelor's Degree required
- Strong understanding of molecular genetics and general chemistry
- ASCP certification in molecular biology preferred but not required
- Excellent attention to detail with an understanding of laboratory practices
3rd Shift: Tues-Sat 11p-7:30a
Back to top