Technician - 1st Shift (Westborough, MA)
- Westborough, MA
LabCorp is seeking a Lab Assistant for the Molecular department in Phoenix, AZ. In this position, you will work in a in a high volume, production based environment performing a vital component of clinical lab science, and will be a part of our overall mission at LabCorp: "Improving Health, Improving Lives" as we combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
As you may know, LabCorp was the first national laboratory to launch molecular testing for the virus that causes COVID-19 and we have performed over 18 million PCR tests to date. The role focuses primarily on COVID-19 PCR testing in the Molecular department of our Clinical Laboratory, where you will perform both automated and manual testing with the overall goal of providing results that will be used for the diagnosis and management of COVID-19. Along with testing thousands of COVID-19 samples per day, we have developed an at-home testing kit to give the public easier access to the diagnostic test. We are also conducting antibody tests which provides information to our patients as to whether they have been exposed to the virus or not. Ultimately, these test results will be studied to better understand the virus in hopes of developing better treatments, and a future vaccine.
The coronavirus is a Biosafety Level 2 disease (BSL2), similar to other blood borne pathogens tested at LabCorp, allowing us to utilize our existing universal safety policies and procedures that protects our employees. All COVID-19 specimens are tested under a hood which protects our employees from being exposed to any vapors, dusts, gases, or fumes from the specimens, as well as any possible splashes to the body. All employees are provided with the proper PPE including face shields and masks, lab coats, and gloves. We strictly enforce the use of PPE at all times, as well as frequently changing and cleaning of all the laboratory equipment. In addition, we have increased the frequency of the cleaning crews within the laboratory to ensure a safe environment for all of our employees. We pride ourselves on the safety measures taken within our facility to protect our employees who are dedicating their time to fighting this virus and making the world a safer place.
- Receive and sort clinical lab specimens
- Prepare specimens for testing and analysis
- Scan and/or data entry of specimen and patient information
- Ensure all lab equipment is working properly and perform minor instrumentation maintenance
- Troubleshoot any specimen related issues
- Replenish test bench supplies as needed
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Complete record logs and other administrative duties as requested
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures to ensure safety and quality standards
- B.A./B.S. in Biology, Chemistry, or related scientific discipline
- 0 to 2 years of relevant lab experience
- Strong understanding of molecular genetics and general chemistry
- Previous molecular biology lab experience highly preferred
- Previous experience working in a clinical diagnostics lab a plus
- Excellent attention to detail with an understanding of laboratory practices
1st Shift: Sun-Thurs 6a-2:30p
Back to top