Senior Game Development Manager
The Security Awareness Company
The Security Awareness Company, a small, Nashville-based corporate training development company, seeks a game development superhero in the making!
This person will be responsible for leading the development process of so-called “serious games” in Unity, including coding the game itself (with help!) and managing the roadmap of each project. They will need to have a strong background in programming and game development, both front and back end, with a Senior level of experience. They will be in charge of ensuring that projects are completed on time and corralling the dev team to get things done, as well as serving as a mentor to their team in terms of programming, development, and leadership.
$60k annually to start, not including monthly bonuses mentioned below.
No one gets rich working here at SAC; but you do get freedom, flexibility, and work-life balance. This is a lifestyle company, where you get to do great work with a talented, fun, hard-working team of people, and get to live the way you want to live.
Official benefits kick-in after the first 90 days. These include:
- health insurance options (with 100% paid premiums), plus dental/vision options;
- a 401(k) with 3.5% match;
- 100% remote and flexible schedule;
- Generous PTO
- We also receive bonuses on a monthly basis from our parent company that correlate to the number of sales brought in;
Unofficial benefits include:
- working from home (save on expensive clothes, gas, commuting time, lunches out, etc.);
- working with awesome nerdy creative people who value hard work, a sense of humor, and a strong margarita;
- fun company gatherings;
- a company culture that encourages learning and creativity;
- more time to sleep or do other things you love (because you no longer have to commute);
- a healthier lifestyle (studies show that people who work from home exercise more and eat healthier);
- more pet snuggles (if you have a pet) or time with the kids (if you have offspring);
- get a sweet company shirt each year;
- make all of your friends jealous because you can sleep until 8:45 and still be at work on time. 🙂
TIMEFRAME AND TIME COMMITMENT
FULL-TIME 40/hours week. You will work from home, and will need a dedicated workspace with minimal distractions. We use instant messaging, group chats, intranet, emails, and conference calls to communicate internally. There will be opportunities for you to work one-on-one with a few members of our team in their home offices, and to interface in real life, including (but not limited to) monthly co-work days and bi-annual all-hands company meetings.
The hours are flexible, but most of our employees work 9-5ish. We believe in a ROWE – Results Only Work Environment. As long as your work is always high-quality, on-time (or early!), and creative,, we are flexible in terms of when you work. The key to success here at SAC is great communication and connectivity as well as proving that you’re efficiently completing tasks; establish a weekly schedule and check in with your supervisor often.
- Project roadmap/milestone planning and maintenance
- Coding Unity games/scenes from scratch
- Sprint management
- Adapting stock assets to fit our unique needs
- Collaborating with team of elearning, graphic, QA, and dev to take games from conceptualization to shipped
- Modifying API calls
- Debugging and troubleshooting
- Juggling multiple game projects at once
- Dev team mentorship (e.g. best practices, walkthroughs, quality resources)
- Backlog grooming
- Unity and C# languages
- Multiple areas of game engineering such as asset creation, gameplay, game audio, AI/ML/DL, pathfinding, animation, physics, UI, and/or game mechanics
- UI implementation
- Video performance optimization
- Assessment, development, debugging, and maintenance of code standards
- Agile development process
- Databases, mobile app development, and source control systems
EXPERIENCE THAT WOULD BE A PLUS (BUT NOT NECESSARY):
- Google Docs, Google Drive and G Suite
- L&D in the adult e-learning space
- Swift for iOS
- Java or C/C++ for Android
- Full Stack developer a HUGE plus (AWS, Ruby, SQL, Vue.js)
- Adobe software (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects)
- UI/UX mockups and flow
- SCORM knowledge or experience
MUST-HAVE SOFT SKILLS:
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Insane attention to detail. Annoyingly so. We want you to be so nitpicky and detail-oriented, that normal people would get annoyed (we promise we won’t!)
- Ability to work fast, on deadline and reliably, no exceptions! You can NOT be a procrastinator. You must be the very opposite of someone who procrastinates.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, takes initiative. We cannot emphasize this enough! No time for laziness or someone just looking for punch-in-punch-out job.
- Discipline!!!! Not everyone is cut out for remote work. You must have the ability to work efficiently, consistently, reliably from home, without someone standing over your shoulder micromanaging you.
- Air traffic controller style level of time/file/project management. Luckily, there will be no lives in your hands, but you must remain calm under pressure, when the to-dos keep stacking up. There will be days where it feels like everything is heading towards the same path of collision.
- Excellent written communication skills. We communicate primarily through chat apps and our intranet.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills - like Sherlock Holmes level. Must have excellent Google-fu.
- Ability to self-teach and learn on your own without someone always holding your hand; and STRONG DESIRE to learn all the time! We will train you but since this is a remote position, you have to take responsibility for a lot of the learning by using the tools and resources we provide.
- Knack for working smarter, not harder. We love finding more efficient and logical ways to accomplish tasks, and want to hear your ideas.
- Work well with a team, communicating regularly, assisting team members, and truly living the concept of being a ‘team player.’ We don’t have time or bandwidth for egos or prima donnas.
- Brain full of ideas, sense of humor, positivity, and optimism! A positive attitude will get you a long way.
- Tenacious work ethic. You’ll do whatever it takes to get the job done, even if it’s a task you’re not thrilled about, without becoming demoralized, downtrodden, or whiny.
- Follow, respect, and abide SAC’s 10 core principles. (Listed here on our website.)
- Ability to meet in Nashville minimum twice a year for our mandatory bi-annual all-hands company meetings (2 day events), and come to town for other team work opportunities throughout the year.
- Live in the greater Nashville area.
A college degree is not necessary. Experience, willingness to learn, discipline to work from home, and a Batman-sized toolbelt of skills are far more important in our opinion! (For more on our hiring philosophy, watch one of our fearless leader’s talks from RSA here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9cdzLi6-o, and you might want to take a look at http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Office-Required-Jason-Fried/dp/0804137501/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462298152&sr=1-1&keywords=remote+book which is essentially a good hard look at how we work as a successful company.)
WANT TO WORK WITH US? EVEN AFTER ALL THAT?
Please fill out the following, answering all the questions. Our initial application process is longer than your typical job app because we don’t want to waste your time or ours. Getting more information from you on the front end helps us narrow down candidates faster and more efficiently.
We look forward to hearing from you! Note that due to time constraints, we will only respond to those submissions that we want to interview. Please don’t take it personally!
Back to top