Senior System Software Engineer - Storage
Engineering at Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a Boston startup located right in the heart of downtown Boston. We craft software helping thousands of ecommerce companies to have engaging relationships with hundreds of millions of consumers. We love tackling tough engineering problems and look for full stack engineers who specialize in certain areas but are passionate about building, owning & scaling features end to end from scratch and breaking through any obstacle or technical challenge in their way. We push each other to move out of our comfort zone, learn new technologies and work hard to ensure each day is better than the last.
What you’ll be doing:
- Have the chance to wholly own features that thousands of our customers rely on daily to reach 100,000,000+ of consumers to drive their business forward.
- Work on crafting our highly scalable real-time data pipeline that processes billions of events weekly across data sets growing to petabyte scale.
- Work on deep analytics system that provides insight into hundreds of terabytes of data.
- Be empowered to own the mission, technical direction and operations of projects that have immediate impact.
- Help architect and design robust and high performance data processing and storage systems leveraging new databases to serve different internal and external use cases. Contribute to open source data processing technologies.
- Contribute to the company as a subject matter expert in multiple areas, constantly pushing yourself to be a better engineer and to level up all of your peers within your team and within Klaviyo.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience building products that matter and pushing yourself and your team to be better engineers and build a product with passionate advocates.
- Enjoy working with system software ranging from traditional databases to new data processing frameworks, and are particularly passionate and an expert in multiple stack areas. You show this by having strong and opinionated experience with various technologies and know how to pick the right tool for any job.
- Love digging into performance and scalability issues to drive breakthrough solutions.
- Familiar with concurrent programming and have experience building distributed systems.
- Enjoy shipping code early & often in an agile fashion, pairing with product management to craft better software by soliciting feedback from thousands of end users.
- Like working on a small, autonomous agile teams. At Klaviyo, you will have ownership of features, but you'll collaborate with everyone to make sure we produce the right solution.
Technologies We Use
Klaviyo operates a real-time data platform coded in Python built for massive scale on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Engineers come to Klaviyo with experience in a variety of languages and from a number of disciplines. The core Klaviyo platform is comprised of the following components that all engineers are expected to become extremely proficient:
Python, Django, Celery
MySQL, Cassandra, RabbitMQ, Redis
Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, Aurora, etc.)
Problems We’re Solving
As a high growth startup we look for candidates that can rise to any occasion and seek out new opportunities to make their mark on our product. The following are examples of exciting projects the engineering team is working on:
Scaling our data processing systems to handle orders of magnitude more data and perform advanced analytics of billions of events in real time by innovating on event-driven data pipelines and building robust distributed data stores
Reliably integrating with 10s of thousands of remote API endpoints to process ecommerce data for historical and real-time syncs
Extracting additional insight from our data sources using machine learning and other data science techniques to allow ecommerce marketers to more efficiently perform their jobs and grow their business, and build features into Klaviyo product to make it incredibly easy for marketers to follow best practices
Klaviyo is a team of people who are crazy motivated by growth.
It’s what we help our customers do: grow their businesses by making it possible and easy for them to use their data to power better marketing.
It’s how we behave as individuals: we’re all deeply passionate about learning.
It’s how we manage our business: we have thousands of paying customers, we’re profitable, and we’re growing insanely fast.
And it’s what our culture is all about. Working at Klaviyo means you’ll work on things you never imagined you would; you’ll grow in ways you didn’t consider possible; and you’ll do the best work of your career with people who are just as motivated and talented as you are.
Your curiosity has led you this far, so if this sounds like your ideal place to work, please apply!
Back to top