Software Engineer - Full Stack
Kiva (kiva.org) is a mission driven technology company. We run a global marketplace platform for crowd-funded micro-loans that serves the impoverished and financially excluded. Our company combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 10 years, we have raised over a billion dollars in loan capital for 2 million+ borrowers in over 85 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month.
Kiva is looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer. This position will involve tackling tasks across this range of Kiva software systems using your skills across Kiva’s Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP stack. This includes writing code for interactions and integrations between the various modules and APIs, maintaining existing functionality in the code base, and building solutions to novel new problems as we encounter them.
Why would you want to come work for Kiva? We’re a diverse, talented, committed team dedicating our skills to solving poverty through connecting people. We work hard and love what we do, but also keep fairly standard hours and seek sustainability in our lives and work. We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our engineering team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the college-educated, and people of a wide variety of races, nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
On our team everybody counts and your contribution has the potential to make a big impact on Kiva and on the world at large. We look for people who are strong communicators, who are thoughtful about their work, and who enjoy giving and receiving feedback. We follow an agile development process, with 20% of time allocated for engineering-driven innovation. You can learn more about Kiva engineering from our blog.
- Are an empathetic, mindful, and thoughtful person who cares about changing the world
- Have a strong sense of responsibility, problem ownership, and can drive issues to completion
- Are a self starter and enthusiastically learn new technologies
- Enjoy and take pride in practicing and perfecting the craft of concise, test-driven code
- Understand the issues around designing & building reliable, scalable software
- Are an effective communicator who willingly shares your creative ideas and solutions
- Possess attention to detail and an ability to think through all the edge cases
- Have experience writing code. You’ll join us in writing clean, maintainable software that solves hard problems. You’ll push the team and the mission forward with your contributions.
- Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (or similar)
- Following coding best practices and standards
- Using and/or creating APIs (e.g RESTful, GraphQL)
- Object-oriented programming
- Writing tests for all new code using PHPUnit or similar
- Tackling client and server side dependency management issues
- Familiar with concepts of modularity and decoupled architecture
- 2+ years previous professional experience in tech
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual work environment, located in a beautiful office in downtown San Francisco.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package, including periodic, subsidized trip to meet with Kiva borrowers and field partners.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
See Inside the Office of Kiva
Through Kiva, anyone can lend $25 to a borrower in the developing world, making it possible for artisans, farmers, and shopkeepers to realize their dreams and create a better future for themselves and their families. Kiva works hard to keep its lenders and borrowers connected, too, so lenders get a chance to see first-hand the impact their loan is having.
Back to top