Social Media Fellow
- Flexible / Remote
Applications are now open for Kiva’s first SOCIAL MEDIA FELLOWSHIP
Joining the team:
You’ll join Kiva’s Creative Team as our first Social Media Fellow. The Creative Team creates content and tells stories that support Kiva’s mission as an international nonprofit that gives people choice and agency through financial empowerment. Each week, the team generates incredible, compelling social things: from Instagram Stories and short films to big online campaigns and rich outreach emails. We tell stories to millions of people each day and so will you.
Kiva Fellows come from a wide variety of backgrounds and professional experiences. They’re united by their desire to gain hands-on experience while meaningfully contributing to Kiva's mission. You’ll embed within a close-knit team of friendly creatives from design and marketing backgrounds - copywriters, designers, strategists - and work regularly with our Head of Design for guidance and ongoing mentorship.
Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans on kiva.org for borrowers such as entrepreneurs, smallholder farmers, and students, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and agility of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
How you’ll make an impact:
As our Social Media Fellow, you will bring Kiva’s story to the world through words, pictures, motion, and storytelling. You’ll have the run of our platforms and channels too: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, email, and beyond. On a typical day you’ll connect with Kiva borrowers for interviews, produce short-form videos or animations, create graphics for social posts, or perhaps record a podcast episode. Right now, we’re looking for Social Media Fellows with at least two years of social content production under their belt. This can be for another brand, or, if you’re a budding influencer, for yourself. We expect all applicants to be active on social media with a clear presence and strong voice.
What you’ll do:
- Tell Kiva’s story and showcase the impact that Kiva has both in the United States and abroad
- Conduct interviews with borrowers within the United States and abroad
- Use Kiva’s existing field notes and video content to create incredible content for Kiva’s channels
- Research and gather new content to create brand new stories that resonate with Kiva’s audience
- Work with the Creative Team on developing materials for upcoming global marketing campaigns
- Collaborate with the Creative team to plan and launch new content concepts
Who we’re looking for:
- 21 years of age or older by November 1st, 2020
- Able to commit to a part-time fellowship for a 6-month term
- Strong social media skills and video editing experience
- Cross-cultural awareness and/or international experience
- Well organized and committed to professional growth
- Strong individual writing voice and skills
- Empathetic, socially aware, value-driven
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work with talented creatives in the nonprofit field
- Mentorship from Kiva’s Head of Design
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Fellowship and Internship Alumni
- References gladly given for successful participants
Where & when:
We know it’s an unusual situation as we’re in the midst of a global pandemic, so this role is a remote and work-from-home opportunity. The Social Media Fellowship will begin in November 2020 and end in May 2021.
Kiva Fellowships are volunteer positions; however, to help offset any expenses, Kiva will provide a modest stipend of $800 a month (before taxes) to its volunteers. Please note that the stipend is considered taxable income and we expect our volunteers to do their own research as to how this may affect their personal tax implications.
Currently, the weekly time commitment for a Kiva Fellowship is 24-32 hours per week, from November 2020 - May 2021. Please make sure you have the availability to commit for the entire fellowship period before submitting an application.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Back to top