Senior Manager, U.S. Growth
Kiva (kiva.org) is a mission-driven technology company. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that empower financially excluded entrepreneurs. Our company combines the fast-paced culture and technology-driven scale of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create economic opportunity for entrepreneurs around the world. In just 10 years, we have raised over $900 million in loan capital for 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries, and our 1.5 million lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month.
We’re on a mission to reimagine a financial system that is based on human relationships and personal connections, not statistically-tested algorithms, black-and-white criteria and the relentless pursuit of profit. Most small business loans come from impersonal financial institutions looking to minimize risk and maximize profit. Our loans come from a generous community of over a million people who are motivated by creating economic opportunities and positive social change.
The Kiva U.S. Program is designed to support financially excluded and socially impactful entrepreneurs here in the United States – think barbershops in inner-city Detroit, formerly incarcerated small business owners in Dallas, military veterans in Iowa, and sustainable farmers in Little Rock. We are a team of outstanding, committed and passionate people intent on revolutionizing the way that small business owners in America access the capital they need to invest in the growth of their business.
In our zero-interest, crowdfunded micro-loans, we have a product that can provide real benefit to the millions of very small businesses that form the backbone of the American economy. The role of the Senior Manager, U.S. Growth is to drive the sustainable expansion of the program across the United States.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Senior Director of the Kiva U.S. program to create and implement the Kiva U.S. team’s sustainable growth strategy;
- Managing the Kiva U.S. team focused on growth throughout the United States. This is currently four employees (three in the Bay Area, one in New York) -- but this team is set to expand over the coming months and years;
- Overseeing Kiva’s work in the specific cities where we have launched our Kiva City program -- driving growth in the Bay Area and New York, in mid-size markets with remote support, and with new cities we expand into;
- Expanding Kiva’s Advisor Program -- support and orchestrate the engagement of the 50+ existing advisors we have around the United States; build out the program’s infrastructure around the recruitment and on-boarding of new Advisors nationwide; and continue to develop the program to drive significant impact
- Build community focused initiatives that will build social capital for Kiva entrepreneurs. Identify ways to replicate best practices in the markets where Kiva is focused. Develop strategies to build, execute, and replicate these in a fast paced environment.
- Extremely passionate about your work, and expanding economic opportunity for small business owners in the United States;
- Independent, proactive and entrepreneurial. You need to be a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and defining your own direction;
- A great leader. It’s important that you inspire those you work with and set a tone that people will follow.
- Able to work successfully on multiple projects. You are also flexible and comfortable with change;
- Someone with a well-developed, balanced skillset. You should be comfortable answering challenging strategic questions, executing analyses, interacting with people, and rigorously driving operational execution;
- Someone who enjoys being part of a close-knit and collaborative team. You get along well with others and genuinely want to help and support others.
- 4+ years or more of relevant work experience leading a team (and ideally managing a program).
- Direct people management experience required.
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual work environment, located in a beautiful office in downtown San Francisco.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package; and the opportunity to travel around the United States to propel Kiva’s impact.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Back to top