Security Engineer, Technical Operations
Called the "hottest non-profit on the planet" by FORTUNE magazine and a Top 50 Website by TIME, Kiva (www.kiva.org) is the world's first personal micro-lending marketplace with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Since 2005, Kiva has raised over $920 million for more than 1 million borrowers in over 80 countries. Kiva combines the culture and approach of an internet start-up with an intense focus on alleviating poverty and serving the borrower-to-lender connection. Kiva’s lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Kiva is poised to take its initial success to a whole new level - targeting $1 billion in loans by 2017 and continued expansion into new areas (e.g. student loans, water, mobile, etc.). Headquartered in San Francisco, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
We’re searching for an empathetic, aware, communicative, and thoughtful person to join our Technical Operations team as a Security Engineer. The Technical Operations (TechOps) team includes Security, IT and Operations, and is looking for a new member.
This is a great role for someone with a deep interest in security who wants to gain experience and dive into all aspects of securing a vibrant and ever-changing organization. Our security program has been built around the idea of ‘security culture’ where all employees work together to maintain and improve security in all things we do. The person in this position will be responsible for continuing that process as well as being the voice of security across the org, the keeper of the keys, and the watchful eye. Because our security strategy is implemented through our culture, applicants should consider themselves to possess great people skills. You will also work with the rest of TechOps on projects, and share in on-call responsibilities.
Our engineering team is a diverse, talented, committed crew dedicating our skills to ending poverty and connecting people through microfinance. We work hard and love what we do, but also keep fairly standard hours and do our best to make sure everyone takes down time.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our engineering team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the college-educated, and people of a wide variety of races, nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Empathy, awareness, and thoughtfulness.
- Project management and planning.
- A broad understanding of challenges people have with IT security.
- Knowledge of, experience with, and commitment to, security on all levels.
- A strong love of user support and education, experience producing and giving training on a wide variety of topics.
- Ability to see both high level and detail views of the same problems.
- 2+ years working with Linux systems (we run Ubuntu).
- A passion for documentation both for team use and for end-users; you should be able to create clear, concise, complete documentation. Strong English language skills are required.
- Flexibility and willingness to find creative solutions that allow work to be done efficiently as well as securely.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- A sense of humor!
- OSSEC, Cisco ASA, iptables, haproxy, other security-focused software.
- Data security law, practice, and standards, especially internationally.
- IDM/IAM systems.
- Password vaults, (OnePasword, LastPass)
- Multi-Factor Authentication.
- AWS or other cloud hosting providers, Docker and other containerization systems.
- Puppet and other automation and orchestration tools.
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual work environment, located in a beautiful office in downtown San Francisco.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
See Inside the Office of Kiva
Through Kiva, anyone can lend $25 to a borrower in the developing world, making it possible for artisans, farmers, and shopkeepers to realize their dreams and create a better future for themselves and their families. Kiva works hard to keep its lenders and borrowers connected, too, so lenders get a chance to see first-hand the impact their loan is having.
Back to top