Review & Translation Associate
- Portland, OR
Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans for entrepreneurs, women and students on our kiva.org lending platform, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Kiva’s Review and Translation Program (RTP) leverages the power of 400+ remote international volunteers to edit, translate, and review loan descriptions sent from microfinance partners around the world before they are published on Kiva.org. Using a self-assignment platform built and maintained by Kiva, these global volunteers handle upwards of 20,000 loan descriptions every month. RTP staff supports volunteers, maintains Kiva’s loan review guidelines, and continues to scale the program as Kiva grows. Now is an exciting time to join the program as we are looking to introduce new tools and strategies to create an even deeper impact.
As the ideal Review and Translation Associate, you believe that words have the power to change the world. You are ready to become a training powerhouse, selecting new volunteers and instructing them in how best to edit or translate Kiva borrowers’ stories for publication on Kiva’s website. You thrive in the world of online communication, whether you’re bonding with a volunteer over a cultural tidbit, drafting clear instructional content, or sussing out systems or policy issues that challenge your problem-solving abilities. You’re detail-oriented and work well on your own, but you’re at home in a highly collaborative team. You also have an eye for designing efficient processes for both new and legacy operations. This is an entry-level position that will report to the Review and Translation Program’s Senior Manager and manage at least one Kiva intern.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Loan review and Team Leader management
- Monitor unreviewed loan volume and motivate teams to translate/review required volume
- Manage up to 10 Loan Review Team Leaders (who directly manage 250+ volunteers)
- Support Team Leader responses to volunteer queries on loan policy, Kiva processes, translation techniques, terminology, and volunteer involvement
- Coordinate yearly recruitment of a class of 20 Team Leaders and associated annual trainings, manage format for quarterly conference calls, and lead quarterly 1-on-1 calls with Team Leaders
- Translator recruitment, testing, and onboarding
- Enhance recruitment network to increase volunteer flow for specific language needs
- Screen editor/translator applications and manage recruitment-associated correspondence across Kiva systems
- Support language test evaluation and training processes pre- and post-move to a new learning management system (LMS)
- Manage onboarding funnel for volunteers including wait-listed, accepted, and rejected applicants by language
- Volunteer support, linguistic standards, and community engagement
- Develop and maintain volunteer resources including technical support for Kiva’s review and translation systems
- Plan and coordinate remote volunteer engagement, live recognition events, and trainings
- Improve and streamline existing processes, building out internal team documentation
- Monitor industry practices in linguistic technology, crowdsourcing, and translation to collaborate in program scaling
- Pitch innovative ways to further improve the program and Kiva’s overall storytelling
- Native or native-equivalent English speaker with proficiency in Spanish
- 2+ years professional experience in translation, localization, volunteer management, project management, or a related field
- Excellent people skills with friendly and motivational communication style
- Tech savvy and comfortable learning new systems and technologies
- Creative problem-solver who is interested in innovation and enjoys a high-growth environment
- Knowledge of more than one Kiva language (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Russian)
- Experience analyzing data
- Experience living or working abroad
- Established network within translation/localization industry
- Certificate or degree in translation
- Experience managing volunteers or remote teams
What We Offer
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Back to top