Portfolio Operations Associate
Called the "hottest non-profit on the planet" by FORTUNE magazine and a Top 50 Website by TIME, Kiva (www.kiva.org) is the world's first personal micro-lending marketplace with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Since 2005, Kiva has raised over $920 million for more than 1 million borrowers in over 80 countries. Kiva combines the culture and approach of an internet start-up with an intense focus on alleviating poverty and serving the borrower-to-lender connection. Kiva’s lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Kiva is poised to take its initial success to a whole new level - targeting $1 billion in loans by 2017 and continued expansion into new areas (e.g. student loans, water, mobile, etc.). Headquartered in San Francisco, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
Kiva's Partnerships team works primarily with Field Partners who post borrower profiles from all over the world onto the Kiva website. The team is responsible for sourcing, monitoring and managing relationships with Field Partners, training Partners, reviewing their loan profiles prior to public release, and ensuring that existing Partners are compliant with Kiva policies and aligned with Kiva's social mission and strategic focus. The Partnerships team includes Portfolio Operations, the Review and Translation Program, Strategic Initiatives, and three regional teams focused on managing partnerships in Europe & Asia, Africa & the Middle East, and Latin America & Caribbean.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, flexible, and motivated Portfolio Operations Associate to manage the effective and efficient use of Kiva’s website by our Field Partners around the world. This entry-level position will report to the Director of Portfolio Operations and play a key role in monitoring and supporting Kiva’s diverse set of field Field Partners from our San Francisco headquarters in addition to taking on projects that will help the Partnerships Team continually improve our operational systems.You will bring an excitement for Kiva and its practical application in the field as well as a keen interest in establishing efficient processes and open channels of communication to the job.
- Partner Monitoring and Compliance
- Resolve or oversee the resolution of loans that have been flagged with policy violations and loans that are eligible for default.
- Support and monitor the monthly repayment reporting process
- Complete monitoring such as spot checks to confirm compliance with our policies
- Work closely with other teams at Kiva to resolve or escalate difficult situations
- Partner Email Support & Training
- Triage and respond to incoming email inquiries from partners on a range of topics
- Create standard emails for common questions, Help Center articles and training materials as well as other partner-facing messaging
- Provide additional training to partners as needed
- Improve Operational Systems and Processes
- Grow and refine Kiva’s central customer service system for partners
- Push to continually streamline operational systems and monitoring by testing new ideas and standardizing work flows across a global portfolio
- Create systems for gathering actionable feedback and for sharing detailed partner knowledge across multiple stakeholders
- Work with the Product and Engineering Team to continually improve the tools used both internally and by Field Partners
- Departmental Support
- Train and manage interns supporting the Portfolio Operations team
- Manage the process of translating new partner-facing materials into Spanish and French
- Provide some administrative support and complete ad hoc projects to support the Partnerships Team as a whole.
- Advanced proficiency in Spanish required (fluency preferred). Proficiency in French is a plus.
- Highly organized with an aptitude for working in a constantly changing environment and adapting to changing priorities. This means being able to take on multiple projects, manage your time to meet deadlines, and happily tackle work that ranges from in-depth projects to ongoing repetitive tasks.
- Strong prioritization skills combined with the ability to keep stakeholders informed
- Able to balance working independently with the good judgment needed to decide when a problem should be escalated.
- Accountable with strong attention to detail
- Superior written communication skills, with the ability to capture detailed processes and communicate in an accessible manner to a range of audiences including people who speak English as a second language
- Tech savvy and very comfortable learning new systems and technologies
- Time spent working abroad in developing countries or with a microfinance institution
- Willingness to establish a work schedule that includes some hours outside 9-5 in order to accommodate a global portfolio of partners
- Minimum 1-3 years of relevant work experience and a BA/BS degree or equivalent education and experience
- Experience creating training documentation or learning modules a plus
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual work environment, located in a beautiful office in downtown San Francisco.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
See Inside the Office of Kiva
Through Kiva, anyone can lend $25 to a borrower in the developing world, making it possible for artisans, farmers, and shopkeepers to realize their dreams and create a better future for themselves and their families. Kiva works hard to keep its lenders and borrowers connected, too, so lenders get a chance to see first-hand the impact their loan is having.
Back to top