Kiva Oakland Associate
Kiva (kiva.org) is a mission-driven technology company. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that empower financially excluded entrepreneurs. Our company combines the fast-paced culture and technology-driven scale of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create economic opportunity for entrepreneurs around the world. In just 10 years, we have raised over $900 million in loan capital for 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries, and our 1.5 million lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month.
We’re on a mission to reimagine a financial system that is based on human relationships and personal connections, not statistically-tested algorithms, black-and-white criteria and the relentless pursuit of profit. Most small business loans come from impersonal financial institutions looking to minimize risk and maximize profit. Our loans come from a generous community of over a million people who are motivated by creating economic opportunities and positive social change.
The Kiva U.S. Program is designed to support financially excluded and socially impactful entrepreneurs here in the United States. We are a team of outstanding, committed and passionate people intent on revolutionizing the way that small business owners in America access the capital they need to invest in the growth of their business.
In our zero-interest, crowdfunded microloans, we have a product that can provide real benefit to the millions of small businesses that form the backbone of the American economy. The Kiva Oakland Associate will be responsible for the growth and development of the Kiva program in Oakland. This is a full-time, one year temporary grant-funded position that will span from December 2016 through December 2017 and will report to the Senior Manager, US Growth.
We are looking for a number of core attributes in this role:
- Strategic Outreach – identify opportunities to promote Kiva to entrepreneurs in Oakland by leveraging borrower virality, community events, partnership development, and creative marketing strategies.
- Scale and Sustainability – our goal isto support over 300 Oakland entrepreneurs in 2017 and create a framework for continued growth and sustainability in the future.
- Depth of Impact -- we want to support the most vulnerable and financially excluded pockets of entrepreneurs around Oakland - especially women and minority owned businesses. It will be critical to have a deep sense of empathy, patience, and persistence in supporting those that need Kiva the most.
- Community - Identify and manage relationships with partner organizations in Oakland with a specific focus on long term sustainability and success. Cultivate an engaged community among the various Kiva ‘actors’ in Oakland – borrowers, trustees, lenders, volunteers.
- Hustle – we are looking for someone that’s metrics focused and thrives in an environment that involves juggling many different priorities, partnerships, and growth opportunities.
- Positivity – we want someone that has a lot of enthusiasm and passion for what we do.
- Highly independent, proactive and entrepreneurial. You need to be a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and defining your own direction.
- Extremely passionate about your work, and expanding economic opportunity in the Bay Area.
- Someone who enjoys being part of a close-knit and collaborative team. You get along well with others and genuinely want to help and support others.
- Able to work successfully on multiple projects. You are also flexible and comfortable with change.
- Someone with a well-developed, balanced skillset. You should be comfortable answering challenging strategic questions, executing analyses, interacting with people, and rigorously driving operational execution.
- At least two years’ experience in sales, business development, program management, or related role.
- You must have an existing network in Oakland and have references in Oakland that can speak to your previous work and impact in the city.
- We have two roles open, Spanish language fluency is a requirement for one of them.
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Back to top