Kiva Chicago Lead
Kiva (kiva.org) is a mission driven technology company. We run a global marketplace platform for crowd-funded micro-loans that serves the impoverished and financially excluded. Our company combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 10 years, we have raised over a billion dollars in loan capital for 2 million+ borrowers in over 85 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month.
The Kiva U.S. Program is designed to support financially excluded and socially impactful entrepreneurs here in the United States. We’re on a mission to reimagine a financial system that is based on human relationships and personal connections, not statistically-tested algorithms, black-and-white criteria and the relentless pursuit of profit. Most small business loans come from impersonal financial institutions looking to minimize risk and maximize profit. Our loans come from a generous community of over a million people who are motivated by creating economic opportunities and positive social change. We are a team of outstanding, committed and passionate people intent on revolutionizing the way that small business owners in America access the capital they need to invest in the growth of their business.
In our zero-interest, crowdfunded microloans, we have a product that can provide real benefit to the millions of small businesses that form the backbone of the American economy. The Kiva Chicago Associate will be responsible for the growth and development of the Kiva program amongst small business owners in Chicago. This is a full-time, one year temporary grant-funded position that will span from September 2017 through September 2018 and will report to the U.S. Program Lead at Kiva.
- Strategic Outreach – identify opportunities to promote Kiva to entrepreneurs in Chicago by leveraging borrower virality, community events, partnership development, and creative marketing strategies.
- Scale and Sustainability – our goal is to support 60 small business owners in Chicago in 2017 and create a framework for continued growth and sustainability in the future.
- Depth of Impact -- we want to support the most vulnerable and financially excluded pockets of entrepreneurs in Chicago - especially women and minority owned businesses. It will be critical to have a deep sense of empathy, patience, and persistence in supporting those that need Kiva the most.
- Community - Identify and manage relationships with partner organizations in Chicago with a specific focus on long term sustainability and success. Cultivate an engaged community among the various Kiva ‘actors’ in Chicago – borrowers, trustees, lenders, volunteers.
- Highly independent, proactive and entrepreneurial. You need to be a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and defining your own direction.
- Extremely passionate about your work, and expanding economic opportunity in Chicago.
- Someone who enjoys being part of a close-knit and collaborative team. You get along well with others and genuinely want to help and support others.
- Able to work successfully on multiple projects. You are also flexible and comfortable with change.
- Someone with a well-developed, balanced skillset. You should be comfortable answering challenging strategic questions, executing analyses, interacting with people, and rigorously driving operational execution.
- A hustler – you thrive on destroying goals and beating benchmarks, and you won’t let anything stand in your way of doing that.
- Positive and enthusiastic, with a deep passion for what we do!
- At least two years’ experience in sales, business development, program management, political campaigns, or related role.
- You must have an existing network in Chicago and have references in Chicago that can speak to your previous work and impact in the community.
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
See Inside the Office of Kiva
Through Kiva, anyone can lend $25 to a borrower in the developing world, making it possible for artisans, farmers, and shopkeepers to realize their dreams and create a better future for themselves and their families. Kiva works hard to keep its lenders and borrowers connected, too, so lenders get a chance to see first-hand the impact their loan is having.
Back to top