Head of Engineering, Kiva Marketplace
- San Francisco, CA
Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.4 billion in loan capital for 3.6 million borrowers in 95 countries. Our lenders fund over $13 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
About the Role
As the Head of Engineering, Kiva Marketplace, you will lead the engineering efforts of Kiva Marketplace on its journey of growth. Since 2018, Engineering has made major investments in the areas of mobile, data science, and cloud infrastructure. The current engineering team has grown to 30 backend, frontend, full stack, and mobile engineers, and we are still growing.
The successful candidate will have strong people and process management skills to lead the organization through the next transformative years which include execution of key initiatives such as mobile launches of iOS and Android, integration of personalization technologies, and significant architecture shifts towards microservices.
Also key to the success of this role is the ability to build strong cross-functional relationships among senior leaders across business, product, and design organizations. Lastly, this leader must possess high emotional integrity to embrace and grow a diverse team that attracts the next generation of Kiva engineers.
- You will manage and scale a team of 30 to 50 engineers with 2-4 managers working across the stack (Mobile, Web, API and Backend platform and core services)
- Work with key partners in the Product organization to identify the right opportunities and put together a product and technology strategy
- Provide technical guidance, mentorship, and assistance to the team, to build scalable, performant and reliable applications that operate 24x7
- Collaborate with Product to make business trade-offs and give technology direction that leads to measurable product and business outcomes
- Execute to success through diligent planning, attention to detail, effective delegation and efficient decision-making
- Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional talent at the individual contributor and leadership level
- Be a culture champion on the team and across the organization
- You bring more than 15 years of work experience in software design and development with over 2 years of managing larger teams of 30+ engineers through 3-4 managers or technical leaders
- Experience and in building products with full stack technologies, with excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms
- Experience with agile development methodologies and leading a team through Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong people management skills, including the ability to coach and mentor engineers and managers of all skill levels
- Track record of cultural leadership that positively impacts all of engineering
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or a related discipline is preferred
What We Offer
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Back to top