Director, Financial Planning & Analysis
Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans for entrepreneurs, women and students on our kiva.org lending platform, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
The FP&A Director is an exciting new role at Kiva and provides a highly visible opportunity requiring frequent interaction with the CEO/CFO and executive team. This hands-on role will drive impact across Kiva with a particular focus on leading organization-wide planning processes, goal setting and supporting a wide range of strategic analysis and decision making. Reporting directly to the CFO, you will provide decision support to executive management, lead the budget, forecast and reporting processes in concert with the Controller, and provide sophisticated financial analysis/modeling capability for all new initiatives. You will be instrumental in developing tools and processes to continually improve our analytical and measurement capabilities, with the goal of creating an environment where the majority of time is spent in analysis versus data gathering.
Collaborating across the organization, you will compile and publish highly analytical and insightful analyses of Kiva’s performance. You will produce quarterly decks, and other financial presentations for Kiva’s BOD and investors. You will also manage the quarterly operations review for the organization. The position requires strong financial reporting, planning and modeling skills, and good business sense. It also requires the ability to understand the big picture of the financial model, while being very detail oriented. Impeccable character, integrity, and work ethic are critical for success.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
What we need help with:
- Build out the FP&A function. Develop P&L for each of our areas of business, and develop business plans for each of our new initiatives.
- Serve as financial business partner to the executive team; build strong relationships across the organization and provide valuable insight/recommendations.
- Lead all planning (annual, quarterly and multi-year), economics, analysis, Board reporting, and ad-hoc financial analysis.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly management reporting—analyzing financial results, distilling/synthesizing key trends, assessing current and future business risk, and communicating key messages.
- Go "deep" into the analytics/data to uncover key trends/insights, and then effectively communicate with and enable business partners to make the most informed decision possible.
- Coordinate with all levels of management to gather, analyze, summarize, and prepare recommendations regarding company strategy, financial plans, new business planning, and operating forecasts.
- Provide insightful analysis including but not limited to revenue and cost, investment cases, product profitability, key performance indicators (KPI's) and productivity metrics.
- Develop strong working relationships within and outside the finance function with a personal style that fosters trust and open lines of communication. Partner with Controller and accounting team as needed.
- Develop a deep understanding of Kiva’s business including competitive environment.
- Partner across the business to evaluate regional/market performance evaluating contribution margin/unit economics and setting expectations for growth/margin/unit economic expansion.
- Drive continuous process improvement to ensure team efficiency, automating processes and systems wherever possible.
- Build and own the long-term financial model for internal and external purposes.
- Mentor and manage analyst.
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA or CPA strongly preferred
- 5+ years finance experience
- 2 + years management experience
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and build complex models (in Excel and other planning applications)
- Analytical prowess, strategic thinking and a command of the details
- Ability to deal with conflict, and manage expectations
- Exposure to key financial management processes as required in a scaling, highly complex organization
- Ability to lead and influence broader team, including those not in direct reporting line
- Stellar problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt to change quickly and often
- Ability to work cross functionally
- Exceptional communication skills
What we offer:
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- Casual, but high performing work environment
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Back to top