Customer Success & Operations Manager
Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans for entrepreneurs, women and students on our kiva.org lending platform, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
We are searching for a passionate and deeply experienced Customer Success Manager to help us create a world class experience for our diverse community of both Kiva lenders and Kiva partners. We believe a community that feels engaged, valued, and successful will lead to Kiva’s own growth and success. In this role you will be on the front lines of supporting and engaging a passionate community of over 1.5 million lenders and 200+ partner organizations. You will become a champion of these stakeholder communities within Kiva, working to resolve issues and deepen Kiva’s engagement with our lenders and partners. You have excellent communication skills. You empathize with your audience and can strike a warm, friendly, and conversational tone even when communicating complex or sensitive information. You will gain a deep understanding of how money moves through the Kiva ecosystem and will specialize in addressing questions and concerns about transactions.
In addition to working effectively with our community directly, this is a role for someone who likes to make things work better. The ideal candidate is a proactive, analytical thinker with project management and significant customer success experience, who is excited about building processes and systems for improving the lender and partner experience. You have a strong orientation towards execution and excel at managing details, seeing how all the pieces fit together and making things run smoothly. Making data-driven decisions is second nature for you and you will be excited to share this expertise with the team. You are jazzed to use your genius to engage more deeply with Kiva’s community and set Kiva up to scale.
Community Support & Engagement
- Triage and respond to incoming email and phone inquiries from lenders, partners, and other stakeholder communities with a focus on repayments, withdrawals and other flow of funds issues
- Use data to grow and refine Kiva’s central customer service systems as we prepare for our community to grow
- Gather and share actionable feedback data from Kiva’s diverse community with relevant internal stakeholders
- Help develop and implement projects aimed at driving engagement and increasing loan volume over time
- Advocate for the community as you collaborate with other groups at Kiva (e.g. Finance, Marketing, Product) to continually improve the experience lenders and partners have on our site
Trust and Transactions
- Resolve transaction issues for Kiva users via effective communication and swift payment processing
- Serve as Kiva’s liaison with PayPal to troubleshoot payment issues
- Partner with the Finance team to process lender withdrawals and monitor accounts to prevent fraud
- Oversee the monthly repayment reporting process to ensure partner organizations are in compliance with our policies
- Take lead on improving our processes for identifying and responding to fraud
- Ensure accuracy of information on our site by completing monitoring of our partner organizations and managing our partner-facing API
- Manage outreach to inactive lenders by mail and the escheatment process
Project Management and Data Analysis
- Push to continually streamline operational systems by testing new ideas and standardizing work flows
- Use data to identify, define and evaluate projects that will really move the needle for our community and support other team members in doing this
- Plan and execute on projects that will improve the experience lenders and partners have on our site, in collaboration with other teams
- Highly organized with an aptitude for working in a constantly changing environment and adapting to changing priorities. This means being able to take on multiple projects, prioritize effectively, manage your time to meet deadlines, and happily tackle work that ranges from in-depth projects to ongoing repetitive tasks.
- Superior written communication skills, with the ability to communicate simply and effectively to a wide range of audiences (including some that speak English as a second language) while also letting your character shine.
- Demonstrated project management experience. You can move projects forward even when time is limited and there are lots of different opinions in the room.
- Accountable with strong attention to detail. Able to balance working independently with the good judgment to decide when to update stakeholders or escalate a problem.
- Experience with and/or a belief in the importance of customer service as a foundational aspect of any business’s success. You enjoy going the extra mile to make things right and people happy.
- Experience using data to prioritize and make decisions. Excellent interpersonal skills and a very high EQ.
- Tech savvy and very comfortable learning new systems and technologies. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- A creative problem solver who desires to go above and beyond what is asked.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience or equivalent education and experience.
- Advanced professional proficiency in Spanish or French strongly preferred
- Customer service or account management experience.
- Interest in or history of working in the international development and/or financial inclusion sectors. Time spent working abroad in developing countries or with a microfinance institution a plus.
- Experience outsourcing business processes.
- Exposure to user experience design and/or product management.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
See Inside the Office of Kiva
Through Kiva, anyone can lend $25 to a borrower in the developing world, making it possible for artisans, farmers, and shopkeepers to realize their dreams and create a better future for themselves and their families. Kiva works hard to keep its lenders and borrowers connected, too, so lenders get a chance to see first-hand the impact their loan is having.
Back to top