Senior Mechanical Engineer - Design Build for Complex Federal, Military and Private Sector Facilities
Advocating an integrated design-build model, Kirlin Design Build (KDB) combines in-house engineering and BIM coordination capabilities with self-performed construction, prefabrication, and commissioning to successfully provide customers a single-source solution. KDB's single-source, or turn-key, approach to design-build delivery is ideally suited for difficult and complex projects because the majority of services related to the project's mechanical scope of are performed in-house. By providing most of the services in-house, we can better control costs, coordination, schedule, and commissioning, while being more responsive to ownership concerns and requirements during the design and construction processes, the owner ultimately receives a better end result.
KDB is looking for talented individuals who enjoy challenges to join the team. We are currently seeking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer.
Senior Mechanical Engineer at Kirlin Design Build is generally assigned to a project after award and has the primary responsibility of ensuring project design success. This person oversees and actively participates in calculations and design document production; including managing the activities of other staff and working collaboratively with the client and outside team members. At times a Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for multiple projects, depending upon project size and schedule. A Senior Mechanical Engineer is expected to be a strong mentor to KDB design engineers and interns within the office.
The Senior HVAC Mechanical Engineer is responsible for Complex Design of HVAC systems for multiple types of facilities including but not limited to Public, Private, Federal Government, Military Sector Office, Data Center, Laboratories, Hospitals and Healthcare related facilities.
Preferred focus in Design Build with Hospital, Laboratory and Healthcare experience. Specific design experience with Military or Government Labs, Hospitals, Laboratory and Healthcare facilities a plus.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Technical Knowledge: Complex Design Mechanical, HVAC, Process Piping, Medical Gas, Laboratory, and some Clean Rooms, and/or Plumbing Design relative to project types encountered. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals including:
- Strong knowledge of relevant building Codes and Standards; often memorized.
- Strong understanding of building mechanical system design and stays current with advancing technologies.
- Excellent hands on skill in the use of REVIT.
- Ability to direct and manage other project members in design and production.
- Ability to confidently and professionally represent Kirlin in team and client meetings.
- Competent with design tools including, load calculation, sizing, equipment selection;
- Knowledge of HVAC load calculations, energy modeling, stress analysis and CFD a plus.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite, particularly as it applies to design work.
- Knowledge of the mechanical construction process to improve design documents.
- Team player! Appreciates a work-hard, play-hard environment.
- Self-motivated problem solver. Does not require constant direction or attention.
- Represent and protect the interest of KDB in an active and collaborative manner.
- Understanding of project budgets and design productivity.
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills.
- Collaborate with KDB Pre-Con, Coordination, Pre-fabrication, Field Staff and the Commissioning teams.
- Is generally excited about mechanical systems and the design build process.
- Education : BS Mechanical Engineer or Architectural
- Experience: Minimum 7-10 years' experience, PE licensed engineer in any state with ability to have license reciprocated in various states.
- Software Skills: Ability to work in REVIT. Efficient in AutoCAD and Microsoft Excel and Word. Ability to work in Trane Trace.
- Abilities : Mechanical design including HVAC, ductwork and piping layout and design, system sizing, humidity and temperature control, plumbing, and other design tasks related to mechanical engineering.
- Must be able to interpret and apply codes including NFPA, IBC, ASHRAE, UFGS and UFC criteria.
- Experience in HVAC design for Hospitals or Laboratories (preferably both) is preferred.
- Experience in Laboratory design including BSL-3 is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Federal Government or Military related facilities including but not limited to office, hospitals and laboratories
- Strong knowledge of BSL-3 Level Laboratories
- Relationship Management.
- Critical Evaluation.
- Ability to function in fast paced, ever changing, high demand environment assuring to meet all final deliverables, detail specifications, and deadlines.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, printers, scanners, and photocopiers.
The physical demands of this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work tasks may include observational survey of existing conditions within or around buildings. Some Construction Site or Fabrication Shop visits may be required for this position.
Some travel may be required if deemed necessary
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Disability and Life Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Tuition Assistance
An Equal Opportunity Employer: EEO/Drug Free/M/F/Disability/Veterans
Back to top