Kirlin Builders, LLC (KB) was formed in 1994 to provide Design/Build and Design-Bid-Build services to our nation's aging military medical facilities through renovation, repair and related construction services. We have established a national reputation for construction and renovation of medical research facilities and laboratories - which includes the construction of specialized containment laboratories up to Bio-Safety Level Four. KB has since expanded our expertise to provide a full spectrum of Design/Build construction services as well as General Contracting services in both the Federal and Commercial markets. With a footprint of experience in over 30 states and Europe, KB continues to grow and expand our services and attract the most talented group of professionals.
Kirlin Builders is currently looking for an Estimator to join our team!
The Estimator supports the bidding process with development and preparation of cost estimates for construction projects and services as assigned. Knowledgeable of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Will help determine necessary resources for projects based on cost estimates and budgetary constraints. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Estimates costs of projects by gathering details and compiling data according to specifications. Works under immediate supervision.
- Attends proposed project site visits/assessments. Performs material quantity take-offs and bid preparation.
- Prepares cost estimates and bid documents for construction projects or services that are reviewed by management before proposal submission.
- Obtains comparative quotations for materials and subcontractor services. Compares subcontractor proposals with required project scope and determines completion.
- Assembles bid files including all development information that was utilized in preparation of the estimates. Prepares in-house estimate as required for missing trade contractors. Develops appropriate contingencies.
- Coordinates all sub costs, KB management, general conditions to ensure complete project estimate.
- Develops RFI's and clarifications to ensure adequate scope and subcontractor coverage. Reads and understands the technical portion of proposals to ensure all costs are calculated.
- Maintains tracking log of bid information regularly.
- Understands necessity to keep certain project-related documents secure and files appropriately. Security is also observed in email traffic (what documents are sent to parties outside of the company.)
- Acts in a professional manner (verbally and in writing) at all times as our company representative. Emails are concise, letters are properly formatted and well written, submittal data is turned over in compliance with the contract and task order. Telephone conversations are informative to fit the subject matter being discussed and kept brief. Messages from customers and subcontractors to the management team are delivered promptly and accurately.
- Makes sure that all documents, emails, et. are filed in a timely manner for future retrieval. Communicates with individuals outside of the office project team to complete tasks required.
- Scopes projects and coordinates with local construction teams. Selects subcontractors with local construction team's input.
- Reviews Invitation to Bid (ITB) for all bids. Follows up with subs to ensure complete coverage of trades with onsite assistance.
- Company's policies are observed at all times; all questions on matters of policy are discussed with the supervisor.
- Works with other team members doing their share of the work and meeting deadlines. Readily volunteers to help others with tasks during "down time".
- Education/Experience: Bachelor's degree in related field is desired, but not an absolute requirement. 1-5 years of experience in an estimating role or previous field construction work with strong desire to learn.
- Abilities: Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Read and interpret construction documents (plans and specifications). Considers raw materials, labor, equipment, tolls and transportation for estimations. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Excellent math skills. Organized and able to effectively manage time to complete multiple proposals at once.
The physical demands of this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office setting with most work being performed on the computer and/or phone. Potential travel to project sites for bid walk meetings.
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Tuition Assistance
An Equal Opportunity Employer: EEO/Drug Free/M/F/Disability/Veterans
Back to top