Senior Research & Development Specialist
Senior Research and Development Specialist
Reports to Director of Research and Development
This position plays a critical role in the innovation, development, and ultimate launch of new products for King Arthur Flour (KAF). We are seeking an individual with a background in food science, a curiosity about ingredients, and a passion for baking. As a member of the Research & Development team, this role will be responsible for working autonomously to formulate products that are aligned with our mission to deliver products of outstanding quality & taste made from sustainably sourced ingredients that consumers value. The ideal candidate loves exploring food and ingredient trends, and is able translate them into ideas for King Arthur Flour product development. She/he must have the ability to work in a collaborative team atmosphere while moving products from concept to packaging. Much of the day is spent in the test kitchen working with new ingredients and formulating products.
Essential job function
- Conceptualize and create new products and recipes that meet or exceed KAF standards for quality, baking experience, and cost.
- Improve product formulations - taste/flavor matches, texture profiles, potential cost reductions.
- Develop and manage testing plans for new product development and quality assurance. Analyze and communicate results, including ensuring directions are correct on packaging.
- Embrace and refine development process with an eye to ingredient qualification, label impact, and manufacturing efficiencies.
- Scale, mix, and bake new and existing products for product evaluations and sales samples.
- Draft recipes and directions for home bakers to ensure the product experience embodies KAF quality.
- Investigate and recommend new ingredients, keeping current with consumer trends and competitors' products.
- Track and document product changes.
- Work on special projects; may include support of the sales team with written materials and baked samples, performing and documenting quality tests for King Arthur Flour products and evaluating competitor's items.
Minimum job requirements
- Demonstrated skill in high-level baking processes and techniques
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple projects, self-directed
- High energy, ability to support continual testing, analysis and improvement, and the ability to concentrate and focus in a loud, hot and sometimes crowded environment
- Creativity and imagination
- Attention to detail, throughout the job, from the first step, until documentation is complete
- No food allergies or tasting limitations
- Ability to multi-task
- Works well with others in a team setting
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Culinology or Pastry and Baking
- Minimum of 3 years of baking experience in research & development, commercial bakery or restaurant
- Knowledge of the chemistry of baking and ingredient interactions
- Training in sensory, basic food safety, and FDA labeling requirements
- Strong knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Office programs.
Meet Some of King Arthur Flour's Employees
Assistant Product Manager
Rosie brings the joy of baking to King Arthur Flour's customers. From cupcake papers to cookie cutters to high-end bread machinery, Rosie ensures that bakers can do what they love seamlessly.
Back to top