Vice President of Quality and Food Safety
Who are we?
KIND is changing the way the world thinks about snacking. No longer do you have to choose between healthy AND tasty, wholesome AND convenient. At KIND, we know you can have both. In the office we also apply the AND philosophy. We seek to think boundlessly, work purposefully AND live passionately.
We are an energetic, inspired, and entrepreneurial team. We strive to operate with the highest integrity. Our company values are to be Hungry AND Kind.
What you’ll do
Serve as the company’s leader and expert in all quality assurance and food safety matters
- Maintain a high level of expertise on all food safety and quality related subjects, including regulations, legislation, and trends in the US and abroad
- Closely monitor and evaluate new developments, anticipated changes, and innovative methods. Proactively recommend how KIND should prepare and respond
- Develop and maintain working relationships with relevant regulatory agencies, serving as a highly-regarded counterpart on all safety, quality and regulatory matters
- Understand and anticipate needs of key customers to ensure quality systems meet or exceed their standards
- Champion best practices in quality and provide guidance to KIND’s leadership to ensure we excel on these matters
Establish quality policies and procedures, monitor adherence and report on performance
- Establish and update KIND’s quality, safety and compliance standards, including expectations for microbiological performance, foreign material control, regulatory compliance, and HACCP programs
- Develop and maintain all relevant policies and documentation, in collaboration with R&D, legal, manufacturing and other departments, including HACCP, recall policies and procedures, food safety and other GMPs.
- Work directly with Manufacturing, Procurement, New Product Development, Logistics and other departments to develop, implement and improve quality, safety and compliance programs and procedures
- Deliver thorough, timely and insightful reports on quality to senior leaders, from internal and external data, audits and assessments
Ensure KIND and all partners in our supply chain comply with all quality requirements
- Anticipate problems and establish practices to prevent and mitigate risks
- Rapidly and effectively address any safety, quality and compliance issues that arise. Manage investigations, analyses and reporting of quality issues. Identify root causes and take necessary actions to prevent recurrence
- Monitor quality performance, develop relevant metrics, report on quality performance, and lead improvement initiatives based on findings and performance relative to industry best practices
- Test and ensure product quality and consistency to ensure it meets KIND’s standards, as well as those of clients and consumers
- Coordinate mock recalls for all manufacturing locations, warehousing and distribution centers
- Establish and conduct regular as well as unannounced audits and tests at relevant points in the supply chain, relying on KIND team members as well as external experts. Report on audits and tests, take corrective actions where necessary, recommend improvements and ensure their implementation
Lead and strengthen the Quality team as well as KIND’s overall quality performance and capabilities
- Oversee the development and expansion of quality initiatives in a fast-paced and high-growth environment
- Manage people and workloads to respond rapidly to emerging problems while also raising KIND’s quality performance and capabilities
- Drive the hiring, training, supervision, management, and development of Quality Assurance Managers and Food Safety personnel
- Educate and coach colleagues in other teams on quality, safety and compliance matters
- Collaborate with other leaders at KIND to ensure quality considerations are given proper consideration in all relevant activities. Champion best practices in quality AND apply judgement and teamwork to ensure quality initiatives contribute to KIND’s overall success
- 15+ years of Quality Assurance experience, primarily within food manufacturing. Must include food safety matters, corporate regulatory work, and direct experience working in a plant. Experience with healthful products preferred
- 7+ years managing a team
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Engineering, or related field. Advanced degree strongly preferred
- Subject matter expert on food safety, QA and audit regulations, trends, tools and programs
- Specific knowledge and direct experience in ensuring adherence with FDA and USDA regulations, as well as international regulations
- High level of business acumen
- Excellent quantitative/analytical skills. Six Sigma credentials, Black Belt preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally and lead/influence others, including third parties in the supply chain
What KIND offers
- Competitive compensation, including equity in KIND!
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Excellent health, dental and vision insurance, with options to fit you and your family’s needs
- Monthly shipment of your favorite KIND bars to share with your friends and loved ones. After all, we’re all brand ambassadors!
- Summer hours, chair massages, social office gatherings, and other KIND and fun ways to reward and engage our team!
- Tuition reimbursement – because we’re committed to your development!
- A dynamic, ambitious, fun and KIND work environment
Keyword: Quality Assurance, food safety, QA, regulatory compliance
Back to top