Sr. Tax Compliance Specialist (Accounts Payable)
At KinderCare Education, we make it our passion to nurture a sense of discovery, joy, and wonder in every child, every day, at every one of our centers. As the nation's leading private provider in accredited early childhood education, we're committed to delivering the highest-quality child care and educational opportunities for families and the dedicated professionals who serve them.
We see the greatness in each child, and we believe teachers can change the world. Every day, our more than 33,000 employees create a world of learning, joy, and adventure for more than 158,000 children. Whether you're in one of our centers or providing support from our headquarters in Portland, Oregon, being a part of the KinderCare family means that you care deeply about positively impacting the lives of children and families through the power of education.
KinderCare Education has three brands to meet the needs of busy families wherever they need us:
- We're in neighborhoods with our KinderCare Learning Centers that offer early childhood education and care for children 6 weeks to 12 years old
- We're at offices with KinderCare Education at Work, our suite of family-focused benefits for organizations to offer to their employees, including on-site and near-site early learning centers, Back-up Care for last-minute child care and Care Select
- And we're at schools with our Champions before and after school programs
The Sr. Tax Compliance Specialist (Accounts Payable) works with the Director of Sales and Use and a secondary Sr. Tax Compliance Specialist to ensure the timely and accurate payment of the property tax bills, investigating amounts due when bills have not been timely received. Tracks payment history as needed and answer property tax assessors' income and expense questionnaires. The role also assists with the monthly reconciliation of property tax payments in the General Ledger to the Property Tax Accrual. The Sr. Tax Compliance Specialist will manage all aspects of KinderCare's unclaimed property compliance, including performing monthly reconciliations, initiating required owner notifications, and preparing unclaimed property reports by state due date. The position requires extensive interaction with the Account Payable, Payroll and Asset Management teams to complete job duties.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain property tax payment excel file and ensure that all property tax bills have been received, paid, and accounted for at least 15 days before they come due.
- Review property tax bills for reasonableness.
- Enter all paid property tax into accrual spreadsheet monthly before the month end close process begins.
- Research unusually large year-over-year variances in property tax payments and make corrections when needed.
- Track personal property tax audit results and ensure that supplemental tax bills are paid and tax credits are properly applied.
- Coordinate with Bank Reconciliation, Payroll and Accounts Payable personnel with respect to unclaimed property matters.
- Maintain unclaimed property account reconciliation monthly and seek to minimize the number of unclaimed items.
- Prepare and timely mail due diligence letters for unclaimed property; process reissue claims weekly or as needed.
- Complete assessors' income & expense questionnaires weekly and maintain a log of the questionnaires completed.
- Communicate on a regular basis with the Asset Management Team regarding lease expiration dates and property tax due on lease terminations.
- Communicate with landlords regarding property tax bills and payment history.
- Communicate with local jurisdictions, as needed, to receive bills and determine proper amount of property tax due.
- Assist the Director with projects when required.
- Verify property information for real estate tax appeal attorneys as needed.
- Assist with filing, copying, and mailing tasks as needed.
Key desired skills and experience includes:
- Position requires two years' experience in a multi-state accounting department with general ledger and accounts payable experience.
- A two-year college degree with emphasis on accounting, finance, or tax is preferred.
- Experience with property tax software a plus.
- Personal property tax return preparation experience a plus.
- Individual must have the ability to conduct tax research.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software programs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary in order to interface with taxing authorities and other internal departments.
- Ability to organize and manage a workload that includes numerous time sensitive tax filings is required; therefore a keen sense of urgency is a must.
Meet Some of KinderCare Education's Employees
Julian handles strategic sourcing and supply chain management within KinderCare’s Procurement Department. In collaboration with a national distribution partner, Julian sources and contracts food and beverage purchases for KinderCare centers.
Back to top