Senior Manager Design and Construction
At KinderCare Education, we make it our passion to nurture a sense of discovery, joy, and wonder in every child, every day, at every one of our centers. As the nation's leading private provider in accredited early childhood education, we're committed to delivering the highest-quality child care and educational opportunities for families and the dedicated professionals who serve them.
We see the greatness in each child, and we believe teachers can change the world. Every day, our more than 33,000 employees create a world of learning, joy, and adventure for more than 158,000 children. Whether you're in one of our centers or providing support from our headquarters in Portland, Oregon, being a part of the KinderCare family means that you care deeply about positively impacting the lives of children and families through the power of education.
KinderCare Education has three brands to meet the needs of busy families wherever they need us:
- We're in neighborhoods with our KinderCare Learning Centers that offer early childhood education and care for children 6 weeks to 12 years old
- We're at offices with KinderCare Education at Work, our suite of family-focused benefits for organizations to offer to their employees, including on-site and near-site early learning centers, Back-up Care for last-minute child care and Care Select
- And we're at schools with our Champions before and after school programs
The Sr Manager of Design & Construction is responsible for timely completion of new centers and remodels as dictated by the company goals. This role coordinates with Architects, City Officials, Developers, Landlords, outside Construction Managers and contractors to ensure centers are built consistently according to plans/specifications and delivered to the internal Operations group complete while ensuring quality standards are upheld.
- Responsible for construction negotiations per job, insuring that coordination of plans and specifications with the general contractors are followed
- Ultimately responsible for establishing and maintaining a favorable and effective working relationship with the Landlord, General Contractor, Architect, Engineer, Construction Manager etc., throughout the duration of the project which includes managing new centers and remodels of existing centers to ensure timely completion
- Utilizes understanding of civil engineering, building engineering and architectural standards to provide clear direction to outside consultants as well as internal associates and design groups.
- Responsible for establishing and reviewing budgets including controlling project related costs. This will involve negotiations and interpretation of legal documents with the Landlords.
- Assists Legal in resolving deal points issues and provides careful review and comments on leases
- Receives and acts upon requests from KC operations group to provide construction coordination services for new Centers, major remodels, building expansions, etc.
- Provides evaluations and cost estimates for each request to assist Real Estate and Operations in providing analysis for approvals
- Works with Real Estate to develop a workable plan based on the center requests and assist Operations and Portfolio Management in achieving their desired goals. Understand and support the Company's vision statement and maintain a professional relationship with all associates, vendors and manufacturer's representatives
- Controls total project costs reporting any discrepancies to the department head to ensure that accountability is maintained
- Provides input in the prototype center design
- Works to keep building costs low without jeopardizing the integrity of the building
- Coordinates all remodeling and major structural repairs as requested by Facilities on existing centers
- Reviews blueprints and specifications book with all developers, landlord, architects, and KU team.
- Works with and supports Real Estate and Legal teams in timely start and completions of projects.
- Reviews, comments and interprets legal documents as required
- Negotiates costs and payments with outside consultants, contractors and vendors
- Reviews and initiates contract documents for each project
- Understands, coordinates, monitors and report accurate construction and workload schedules
- Receives and processes requests from KU Operations team (capital projects)
- Reviews or develops accurate scope of work and cost estimates for existing buildings ensuring that company prototype designs are consistent
- Continually visit sites from initial construction and completion to monitor status
- Supervises outside consultants and contractors who gather and report information as requested to the managing regional or management staff for Design and Construction
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of each new center project to which he/she is assigned
- Responsibilities include interviewing and training internal Construction Managers, Construction Coordinators, outside consultant's notwithstanding, planning, assigning, and directing work including addressing complaints and resolving problems in the field and in scope
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Business Management or related field preferred
- 8 years of relevant experience and/or equivalent combination of education/experience required
- Prior experience in multi-project responsibility required. Full development experience preferred
- Must be able to read, analyze and interpret general legal documents and able to effectively negotiate price and contractual agreements with Landlords, outside consultants, etc.
- Experience with reading, analyzing and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations required
- Must be able to write reports and business correspondence
- Experience in effectively presenting information and responding to questions from regulatory or governmental agencies and groups of managers required
- Must be skilled with mathematical concepts such as fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportion to practical situations. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentage, area, circumference and volume
- Must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Must be able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables where only limited standardization exists
- Experience with interpreting a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram or schedule formats required
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and related web based applications required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat and with the risk of electrical shock. The noise level is the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
KinderCare Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
Back to top