Director Real Estate
At KinderCare Education, we make it our passion to nurture a sense of discovery, joy, and wonder in every child, every day, at every one of our centers. As the nation's leading private provider in accredited early childhood education, we're committed to delivering the highest-quality child care and educational opportunities for families and the dedicated professionals who serve them.
We see the greatness in each child, and we believe teachers can change the world. Every day, our more than 33,000 employees create a world of learning, joy, and adventure for more than 158,000 children. Whether you're in one of our centers or providing support from our headquarters in Portland, Oregon, being a part of the KinderCare family means that you care deeply about positively impacting the lives of children and families through the power of education.
KinderCare Education has three brands to meet the needs of busy families wherever they need us:
- We're in neighborhoods with our KinderCare Learning Centers that offer early childhood education and care for children 6 weeks to 12 years old
- We're at offices with KinderCare Education at Work, our suite of family-focused benefits for organizations to offer to their employees, including on-site and near-site early learning centers, Back-up Care for last-minute child care and Care Select
- And we're at schools with our Champions before and after school programs
This role will be responsible for providing Real Estate site selection expertise across multi-states, leveraging strong broker/developer relationships to deliver 10-15 Real Estate Committee approved sites annually. Sites to be a mixture of urban TI and suburban BTS projects. Key to the success of this role, the Director of Real Estate will work closely with internal stakeholders from Design and Construction, Finance, Operations and other key stakeholders. The Director of Real Estate will also guide leadership regarding leasing decisions, new deals and deal negotiations.
- Source, review and drive new center growth opportunities and implement KinderCare Education strategies that require real estate including concepts, new market entries, growth or repositioning initiatives.
- Involvement in timely and accurate management of territory third party lease activity, conducted by Asset Manager.
- Provide input on brand specific real estate and development strategies based on company footprint and market performance, target demographics, competitive analyses, customer and client insights, and business model changes.
- Participate in the creation of market plans that drive real estate strategies for both existing operations and new development.
- Educate business partners (internal and external to brand or company) on long range strategy. Alignment with Operations and other support functions is critical.
- Establish preferred broker and developer networks that meet KCE standards for sourcing and building new facilities.
- Provide brand guidance and perspective to CRE teams on all real estate actions. i.e. new store opportunities, renewals, options, repositions and relocations.
- Interface with corporate clients on real estate matters to secure their partnership with KCE and adoption of profitable programs and services.
- Interact with Design and Construction and Facilities to understand new build standards and metrics, and apply accordingly to site sourcing effort with focus on total cost of ownership/operation.
- Be informed on and a primary resource for real estate market metrics, trends, industry activity and competitor new site/concept development information; monitor significant economic/strategic factors that might impact new development or leasing decisions, and implement effective response strategies.
- Be a resource to applicable leaders to provide guidance and direction on real estate matters that impact Field Operations or Facilities including location considerations, brand standards, new development/existing lease negotiations, and deal negotiation priorities and terms.
- Engage with key cross functional business partners to ensure alignment and execution of real estate related company and brand priorities and development; strong collaboration with Associate Counsel on all agreements is critical.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum 5 years' experience in Real Estate, with expertise in site selection and other decision points associated with a multi-state development effort
- Strong client relationship and negotiation skills, including demonstrated ability to build a preferred broker/developer network
- Understanding of real estate trends and ability to develop a clear strategy to drive market share and deliver strong returns on investment
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, communicate and work in a team
- Able to operate within a multi-brand environment, standardizing processes and building features while also protecting critical brand-specific elements
- Must be willing to travel up to 50% of the time
KinderCare Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
Back to top