Director of Application Development (Remote Opportunity)
- Portland, OR
About KinderCare Education ®
KinderCare Education operates more than 1,380 early learning centers, and more than 560 Champions sites, supported by a corporate team of nearly 600 headquarters employees in Portland, Oregon. In 2019, KinderCare Education earned their third Gallup Great Workplace Award - one of only 39 companies worldwide to win this award.
- In neighborhoods with our KinderCare ® Learning Centers that offer early childhood education and child care for children six weeks to 12 years old
- At work through KinderCare Education at Work™, family benefits for employers including on-site and near-site early learning centers and back-up care for last-minute child care
- In local schools with our Champions ® before and after-school programs
This is a unique role providing a combination of upward visibility and business impact that can be career-changing. It's an opportunity to use leadership and engineering experience with many of the cutting-edge industry trends (I.e. cloud services, integrations development) while delivering solutions side-by-side with operations and infrastructure partners. When done right, this role has a strong influence on the overall IT strategy. If you're looking to be involved with Enterprise level tools/sophistication, but at the speed and execution of a quick and nimble business, this could be the perfect time for you to join.
This role leads two distinct teams in the delivery of technology at KinderCare. One team covers full-stack software development utilizing Microsoft .NET, SQL Server and AWS as the primary platforms. The other responsibility is for leading IT web development (internal and external) to build, maintain, and enhance the solutions supporting KinderCare's web presence; specifically, site architecture and integrations, optimization, and a variety of family facing functionality to support our enrollment goals.
The ideal candidate will have a deep technical background, sound business acumen, and demonstrated experience managing engineering teams.
Key responsibilities include:
- Direct, analyze and approve product design and changes
- Develop individual development plans for team members to support their professional growth
- Responsible for development and adherence to our engineering standards
- Collaborate with teams delivering via our KinderCare Agile SCRUM processes
- Develop relationships with IT and business peers to support collaboration on cross-functional process improvements
- Partners with 3 rd parties to manage engagements to support staff augmentation due to volume or skill set need
- Partnering with Product Owners to ensure platform roadmaps adequately balance features with investments in security, operational and technical improvements
- Improve the company's technical awareness, depth and use of technology across the business
- Contribute to the growth of IT through membership of IT Extended Leadership Team
- Situational leader supporting our Major Incident process (rotational - 2-3 times per year) requiring on-call availability
- Other duties as assigned
Key desired skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years of technology experience with a minimum of 5 years of managerial experience
- Hands-on experience in re-engineering/designing/building applications in cloud, AWS preferred
- Experience utilizing Agile methodologies to accelerate decisions/outcomes, minimize risk, and balance the short/long term goals
- A passion for building a productive and inclusive work environment that will attract and retain top talent
- Proven collaborator, with clear, open and honest communication
- Experience managing 1-2 teams of up to 5-15 remotely located engineers
- Experience building scalable enterprise applications is preferred
- A desire to continuously learn and improve for both yourself and your teams
· Recent development experience with SiteCore
· Experience with integration platforms as a service such as Jitterbit or Mulesoft
· Experience with operational best practices and/or tools such as Dynatrace or Splunk
· Expertise in application security frameworks
KinderCare Education employs more than 32,000 team members across 1,700 locations nationwide. Our devoted family of education providers leads the nation in accreditation and includes KinderCare® Learning Centers, KinderCare Education at Work®, Champions® Before- and After-School Programs, Cambridge Schools ™ , Knowledge Beginnings® and The Grove School®.
KinderCare Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
Back to top