Director of Firmware
Who We Are:
KeepTruckin is on a mission to modernize the trucking industry. With the leading fleet management platform, we are bringing trucks online and fundamentally changing the way freight is moved on our roads.
We see our hard work rewarded in tangible ways every day and we believe that intelligence is most powerful when paired with humility. We’re motivated by the opportunity to impact and improve every facet of a trillion-dollar industry that touches everyone’s lives. KeepTruckin is proud to be a Forbes Cloud 100 company and a 2020 Career-Launching Company by Wealthfront.
About the Role:
As a Director of Firmware, you will be a key member of the hardware team leading an embedded project from start to finish. As an exceptional leader, you will be able to lead a team in the architecture, execution, and test of complex embedded systems on a range of platforms from bare metal, RTOS, Linux, and mobile OS.
You will manage 4 managers/teams across 3 locations (SF, Buffalo, and TW). This person understands how to ship high volume quality hardware and has done it many times; experience with mobile platforms and surrounding technologies a must. You have shipped hundreds of thousands if not millions of devices through the devices you have developed.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead a team in the design and development of high performance firmware and software for cutting-edge mobile platforms and cameras
- Lead a team in the debug, optimization, and validation of firmware on complex embedded multi-core architectures.
- Participate in ground-breaking hardware and research projects
- Build, manage and lead a world class software development organization leveraging both internal engineering talent along with outside development partners
- Work closely with key stakeholders including hardware engineering, product management, program management, finance, operations, and external partners
- Provide guidance to executive leadership team on critical technology decisions
- Drive continuous improvement of our Product Development Lifecycle
- Enhance our Continuous Integration build process
- Work closely with SQA leadership to implement feature validation processes
- Define and maintain progress metrics to keep team and management up-to-date on status, KPIs, risk and mitigation plans
- Work closely with our internal program management team to execute predictable software release cycles and diligently manage project workload and resource planning
- Identify, evaluate, qualify, select and manage third-party software development firms to augment and scale the core team
- Build and mentor leadership throughout the organization; establish a culture of ownership and accountability
- Lead team to efficiently deliver high quality code and features on-time and on-budget
- Build a fun productive working environment within a culture of intense collaboration
- Ensure team organization, individual development, and accountability are consistent with corporate values and policies
- Plan, direct, and coordinate activities of the firmware and algorithm teams and coordinate with hardware and manufacturing teams. Serve as overall software systems architect. Bridge system level issues across engineering disciplines.
- Estimate and achieve deliverable dates for key features, technical goals and technology product platforms.
- Develop & implement standards, guidelines and methodologies for multiple firmware teams to ensure coordination, collaboration, alignment, and code reuse between distributed subsystems and multiple software partners.
- Responsible for multiple software subsystems (embedded, factory tools and firmware infrastructure). Supervise technical leads between USA and China teams.
What We’re Looking For:
- 15+ years of experience with at least 5+ years in a senior management role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Strong programming experience and demonstrated proficiency in C/C++ for embedded systems, including development of algorithms, manipulation of complex data structures, and implementing highly optimized code
- Consumer electronics experience or familiarity with 3-4 or relevant technologies: mutli-core ARM processors, GPUs, WiFi/BT, cameras.
- Familiarity with ARM or equivalent embedded multi-core microprocessor architectures is required
- Strong understanding of operating systems concepts such as thread scheduling, context switching and memory management is required.
- Candidate is expected to have experience in using ARM debuggers.
- Ability to understand hardware design and schematics.
- Prior experience with overseeing board bring-up and validation
- Experience working in an Agile software development process operating within a larger organization with a variety of development methodologies
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing product delivery best practices
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional and proven leadership skills
- Experience managing internal and external software resources.
- Proven track record of delivering multiple high-quality products for the consumer and automotive markets
- Expertise in designing and optimizing the key system characteristics of usability, performance, scalability, and security
- Experience with embedded Linux and Android projects at all levels: kernel, middleware, and application
- Experience with test automation for full-stack software development
- Experience with electrical/electronic hardware development and manufacturing methods and standards
- Experience with software test methodologies, test planning, test automation, test tooling, and quality standards and metrics
- Passion for excellence and quality
- Extensive management experience including technical, administrative, and organizational activities
- Demonstrated ability to continually grow and develop yourself and your team.
- High energy and excellent interpersonal skills
- Expert-level knowledge of embedded, multi-platform, and distributed software systems. Successful track record combining disparate platforms (Software & Hardware) involving high-end computing down to dedicated/embedded devices, and complex software involving sophisticated algorithms, hardware control, data integration, Network communication, Bluetooth and automotive interfaces.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of KeepTruckin's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please do not let an arrest or conviction record prevent you from applying for employment at KT. KT considers qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
Back to top