- Chicago, IL
The Fiber Designer will be working closely with our engineering staff by producing maps, construction drawings, and permits in support of the fiber engineering projects. The individual in this position is responsible for producing Outside Plant (OSP) AutoCAD Designs, and associated work package documents in coordination with other engineering department personnel.
Qualified individuals should be experienced in drafting buried, aerial, and underground telecommunications cable systems and associated OSP supporting structures, or should have related CAD drafting or outside plant experience. Candidates must have the ability to meet or exceed business unit goals while maintaining quality standards and following company and business directives and practices.
- Create high level preliminary routes via AutoCAD
- General clerical duties, tasks or special projects as occasionally required or assigned.
- Perform design within allocated budgets and time frames.
- Provide design lead with updates on progress and roadblocks.
- Advise the Engineering Lead regarding design progress and roadblocks discovered during the design process.
- Review and develop traffic control plans in accordance with MUTCD Standards.
- Prepare a variety of Telecommunications drawings in AutoCAD.
- Translates sketches into AutoCAD for permit and construction drawings.
Project Execution Responsibilities Include:
- Strong work ethic, as well as ability to multi-task and have strong attention to detail, under strict timelines.
- Support design via any jurisdiction permits drawings required.
- Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones and provide regular updates.
- Support QC and as built efforts with design changes/updates.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- 2+ years of Fiber AutoCAD Drafting.
- Related work experience in OSP and/or ISP fiber detailed design & fiber splicing.
- Basic proficiency with Google Earth.
- Familiar with construction focused on fiber builds.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills.
- Experience in working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with permitting is a plus.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
- Proficient in AutoCAD - 2+ years.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Fiber routing for aerial and underground installations.
- Manhole design including splicing and racking.
- Design of fiber terminals, switches, routers and security.
- Knowledge of construction and constructability practices and principles.
- Knowledge of Aramis and Micro Station is a plus.
About KDM Engineering, PLLC:
KDM Engineering is a WBE/MBE/DBE engineering firm, focusing on power delivery, gas distribution, and telecommunications design in the Chicagoland & Mid-Atlantic areas. Our aim is to provide our clients with excellent project support, a high attention to detail, and great customer service. KDM has been named one of Chicago's Best and Brightest Companies To Work For four years in a row and was one of WPO's 50 Fastest Growing Women-Owned/Led Companies in 2019.
Benefits & Top Reasons to Work for Us:
- Competitive base salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- 401(k) plans with substantial company match
- PTO, company paid holidays and great work/life balance
- Fun and Flexible work environment that puts people first
- Dynamic leadership team that are experts in their field
Equal Employment Opportunity:
KDM Engineering strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Back to top