Why Choose KDM?
KDM Engineering was founded in 2012 on a promise to alter the face of the engineering field. Today, we’re a growing, award-winning, minority- and woman-owned engineering firm that welcomes the perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds of our diverse team members.
We have built a reputation of excellence over the last 10 years by providing outstanding technical experience and maintaining the highest standards of safety and quality assurance for both public and private sector clients. We have earned the designation of Engineer of Choice (EOC) from several utility companies, and we are continuously recognized for our work and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Our talented group of individuals helps us deliver results in our specialty areas of power and energy engineering design, distribution engineering, substation engineering, civil engineering, fiber engineering, utility coordination, AutoCAD/drafting, program/project management, and permitting.
Want more jobs like this?
Get jobs in Chicago, IL delivered to your inbox every week.
What We Value in Our Employees:
Our diversity is what distinguishes us from any other company in the industry. Our employees come from a wide array of backgrounds, beliefs, and life experiences. These differences are the foundation of our uniformity because that which sets us apart is also what brings us together.
We value our employees’ commitment to quality in their work and customer service as they help us deliver the outstanding project results that our clients have come to expect from us.
Our employees share our core values of safety, quality, integrity, teamwork, and dedication, and they believe in the positive impact our work has on the communities we serve.
What Our Employees Value in KDM:
Having an exceptional office culture is no longer an option, but a necessity. As part of our company culture, employees enjoy a flexible, relaxed work environment where they are recognized for their performance, rewarded for their hard work, and supported in their professional endeavors.
At KDM, we emphasize personal growth, and we’ve created an environment where each employee is empowered to create their own path to success, with the company’s full support.
Thank you for choosing KDM and helping us re-engineer the future of engineering, together!
The Distribution Designer will perform detailed designs of electric and gas utility systems. This will include preparation of field notes, drawings, specifications and estimates for review and approval by the Senior staff, client Design staff and Engineers.
- Design and prepare independently, construction documents related to overhead, underground facilities associated with electric distribution systems and telecommunication networks and infrastructure following client’s standards, guides, specifications and procedures.
- Contact landowners and/or their agents to obtain appropriate permission s and approvals for new utility infrastructure to be installed.
- Apply the client’s standards, guidelines, specifications, practices and procedures or appropriate industry standards in preparing layouts of overhead and/or underground electric distribution facilities and telecommunication facilities
- Prepare design sketches, cost estimates, bill of materials and any other required documents and reports for construction and maintenance projects.
- Prepare and submit required reports and correspondence
- Utilize client and company information systems to track and update design activities
- Have a working knowledge of the practices and procedures pertaining to the technical matter in electric distribution design.
Electric Distribution Design:
- Electrical Engineering
- Work Management Systems (Asset Suite 8, WMIS, Passport)
- Proficiency in MicrosStation
- Proficiency in Civil3D
- Rights of Way easement and Permitting
- Pole Loading/Conductor Sag Analysis (Pole foreman/O-Calc/SpidaCalc)
- Preparation of cost estimates, specifications, evaluation and requisitions
- Perform distribution system design calculation
- Coordinate design deliverables to meet project schedules
- Acquire field data necessary to prepare the appropriate design
- NESC clearance and loading specifications
- Plan and Profile Design
- NESC clearance and loading specifications
- Plan and Profile Design
- Route Analysis
- 2+ years’ experience in Utility Design
- preferred: ComEd distribution design experience
- Ability to handle contacts with clients and other agencies in connection with project design responsibilities
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Familiarity with basic computer software and operating systems
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering (or related field) from an accredited college or university preferred, but not required.
- Management may consider other education and work experience to be acceptable for the appointment to this position
- Must be willing to comply with all pre-employment screening, including but not limited to, drug testing, reference verification, education and employment verification and background screening
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License
- Hybrid work schedule
- Competitive Base Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Company Paid Holidays
- Great Work-Life Balance
- Fun and Flexible Work Environment
- Organization with People-First Mentality
- Dynamic Leadership Team
- Positive team environment
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible schedules
- Growth opportunities
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Life, long-term disability, and short-term disability insurances
- Paid time-off
- Paid holidays
- Volunteer leave
- Year-end performance bonuses
- HRA and HSA
- Transit program
- Gym reimbursement
- Career coach on-staff
- Parental and maternity leave
- Supportive management
- Culture engagement group
- Professional development assistance
- Employee discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Quarterly team-building outings
- Laidback office culture, including pool table, arcade games, and happy hour
- Meditation space, nap room, and nursing mothers’ room
KDM Engineering provides its new employees with a one-of-a-kind, client-recognized training and mentorship program. We give our new recruits the opportunity to become effective and knowledgeable engineers at a much faster pace than our competitors. New recruits will be exposed to multiple departments and projects through our hands-on learning approach.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
KDM Engineering strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
About KDM Engineering:
KDM Engineering is a minority- and woman-owned professional engineering firm focusing on power delivery, gas distribution, and telecommunications designs. Established in 2012, KDM is headquartered in Chicago with branch offices on the East Coast.
KDM specializes in power and energy engineering design, distribution engineering, substation engineering, civil engineering, fiber engineering, utility coordination, AutoCAD/drafting, program/project management, and permitting. Following our core values of safety, quality, integrity, teamwork, and dedication, we’ve built a proven track record of success in responding to our clients’ needs, budgets, and schedules. We are nationally certified Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) and Women Business Enterprise (WBE).
Our talented, diverse team brings an abundance of design and project management experience to their projects. We will continue to prove that when organizations are committed to diversity and inclusion, they are more successful because they bring together different backgrounds, experiences, and ways of thinking, offering unique and varied perspectives when solving problems.
At KDM we take pride in our professionalism, and there’s no denying we have a distinct edge over our competition in providing outstanding technical expertise, resulting in consistent recognition by our clients as a top engineering firm.