Sr. Director, Preclinical & Toxicology
- San Francisco, CA
JUUL Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Director of Pre-Clinical will be a key member of JUUL Labs Regulatory management team overseeing pre-clinical activities executed through internal scientific staff and external vendors. The candidate will have a history of leading projects from early discovery to clinical stages (target identification/validation, screening/optimization, safety profile/toxicology, pharmacology). The candidate will be a strong relationship manager, a strategic thinker, and have an entrepreneurial mindset. The role will report into the VP of Clinical and Scientific Research.
- Work closely with company VP of Clinical and Scientific Research to review product development strategy, create operational plan for pre-clinical activities and its coordinate execution.
- Drive the preclinical in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo efforts to identify, validate and develop preclinical projects
- Provide expert level guidance in designing and implementing preclinical studies
- Lead a team of internal scientists and engineers to establish biological and physicochemical assays to support preclinical projects and mentor direct reports to develop their assay and troubleshooting skills
- Manage external resources to design and execute studies to assess the safety and microbial limit testing of compounds and aerosols
- Develop review and approve study protocols, tests methods, study reports and pre-clinical regulatory filings.
- Develop pre-clinical vendor qualification system.
- Assist with the expansion and maintenance of a GLP and GMP quality system
- Act as the project leader for weekly development team meetings
- Work with Accounts Payable and Finance on non-clinical budgeting and forecasting
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years of experience in research in industry and academic environments (postdoc)
- Extensive hands-on experience in establishing in vitro and ex vivo biochemical assays and in vivo pharmacology models
- Solid background and training in molecular, cellular biology, biochemistry toxicology or analytical chemistry with research published in top-tier academic journals
- Thrive working independently and on teams and are persistent and innovative
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate across internal multi-disciplinary teams
- Familiarity with aerosol generation, characterization and delivery
- Experience managing external vendors and developing internal team
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Experience with small company environment preferred
- Experience with formulation development , INDs/NDA and aerosol delivery preferred
- Personal characteristics of integrity, teamwork, can-do-attitude and personal excellence.
PhD in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology Immunology, toxicology or analytical chemistry
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
JUUL Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. JUUL Labs also complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for JUUL Labs in the US.
Back to top