Senior Battery Cell Engineer
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Senior Battery Cell Engineer at JUUL Labs, you will use your engineering skills and your knowledge and experience in designing and testing of rechargeable batteries for our products. The ideal candidate will have solid engineering background, in-depth understanding of the operation of rechargeable cell and experience in design, testing, data analysis, design verification and validation of the latest generation Li-ion battery cells, including material selection and characterization, cell construction and design, tooling, assembly methods and production processes and equipment.
- Develop product performance specifications and establishing mechanical dimension and cell design details required to meet application requirements.
- Perform design reviews, DFMEA, risk and failure analysis and provide solutions to mitigate issues.
- Lead engineering qualification efforts for new rechargeable cell designs from concept to completion.
- Define process capabilities, summarize design qualification data and determine acceptability for production ramp by using quality analysis tools.
- Works with suppliers, contractors, support staff and management to ensure that new product designs are developed to requirements and safety regulations on budget and on schedule.
- Conducts investigations, prepare related status reports for problems or issues and provide recommendations to resolve issues.
- Research literature and industry for advanced technology that may be applicable for next generation cell designs and work with vendor to evaluate efficacy and readiness.
- Pursue development of intellectual property to protect technology advantages and secure competitive market position.
- Act as technical contact point for any products that use primary and secondary batteries as primary or backup power source.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of 8 years of direct battery materials and design development including process tracking and performance and safety characterization with lithium ion or lithium polymer battery cells.
- Familiarity with applicable test equipment, test procedures, international standards and certification agency requirements applicable to rechargeable lithium battery products.
- Familiarity with current state of the art production processes applicable to lithium rechargeable cells.
- Experience in working with external vendors and contractors to develop and qualify battery designs for consumer applications.
- Experience with applying quality assessment software tools to production data including statistical analysis of performance and process capabilities.
- Experience in design of experiments.
- Experience with mathematical modeling of lithium ion battery designs is also desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to clearly present data to cross-functional teams and to non-experts.
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Experience in analyzing existing and new designs and proposing suitable solutions to resolve issues.
- Comfortable explaining complex technical issues and justifying technical decisions.
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to work in close cooperation with a cross-functional teams of professionals.
- BS/MS degree preferred in Material Science or Chemistry or related engineering.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in either of our technology labs in South San Francisco or Mountain View
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles
Meet Some of JUUL Labs's Employees
Claire O.Senior Mechanical Engineer, Engineering
Working as part of the Product Team, Claire aims to bring a better product to JUUL customers. She works on prototyping, designing, and testing to meet changing customer needs and improve the overall experience.
Back to top