Principal Scientist, Nicotine Science (Behavioral and/or Pharmacology)- Global Scientific Affairs
- San Francisco, CA
JUUL Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
Since science is a key to build trust with regulators & scientific community, Global Scientific Affairs mission is to:
- Disseminate JUUL Labs Inc.’s research and science to internal and external audiences
- Integrate scientific evidence into global operations by partnering with in-country stakeholders
- Help JUUL Labs Inc.’s make science-based arguments by being involved with all external messaging of scientific content
- Lead scientific outreach: Strengthen connections with external researchers through Investigator-Initiated Research (IIR)
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Report to VP Global Scientific Affairs
- Global Scientific Affairs responsibilities include interfacing with regulators, external scientists, and policy makers. This would be the first behavioral pharmacologist on our team.
- As part of the Scientific Analysis Team, analyze key external publications for internal stakeholders including government affairs, communications, and legal.
- Meet with policy makers, press, regulators, scientists, and other key stakeholders
- Prepare and deliver presentations to small, medium, and large groups of people
- The role will work closely with Global Scientific Affairs leadership with significant opportunities for professional development and mentoring.
- The role includes the opportunity for national and possibly international travel
Can be based in San Francisco or DC. For exceptional candidates, Europe or Asia can be a possibility.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- The ideal candidate will have a five plus year background in public health issues including tobacco control or chronic disease, training in appropriate research methodologies, solid statistical foundations, demonstrated project coordination skills, outstanding writing skills, experience working in behavioral, health or epidemiological settings, evidence of leadership potential, and a track record of successfully participating in team-based projects.
- Context is fast-paced, and highly dynamic, and successful candidates will demonstrate creative problem solving, flexibility, emotional maturity, attention to details and the ability to effectively communicate and interact with individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
Key characteristics for success:
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong scientific writing skills
- Ability to understand and communicate science at high / medium / low level of detail to diverse audiences with different levels of scientific understanding
- High emotional intelligence and teamwork skills
- Ability to quickly synthesize new information and to self-learn on background scientific information in a range of disciplines ranging from in vitro assays and toxicology to human physiology, pharmacokinetics, and behavioral studies / epidemiology.
- Sense of scientific curiosity
- Engagement with the mission and opportunity to displace combusted cigarettes in a global population of 1B adult smokers.
- Publication history within tobacco control or related fields
- Specific experience with various electronic publishing tools
- Statistical analysis / meta-analysis experience
- Specific experience with clinical research protocol or reports (CSR) development within tobacco or pharmaceutical industries
- Experience working in a rapidly growing company
- Requirements: PhD in behavioral pharmacology or similar field
- In some cases, MD, PharmD, advanced degree in related field, or ten years or more research experience may be substitutable
- Nice to have relevant publication history
- Experience leading teams
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
JUUL Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. JUUL Labs also complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for JUUL Labs in the US.
Back to top