Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world's one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world's largest and oldest industries.
We're an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we're growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We're actively looking to hire the world's best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This hands-on role will be responsible for assisting with developing and implementing manufacturing processes for new JUUL products. The resulting processes need to be cost efficient, reliable, ensure high quality, and timely. A Process Engineer works with product development, supply chain, and quality teams to support transfer of manufacturing processes into commercial readiness. He/she should be a strong communicator who is able to work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. Cross-functional communication and technical skills and experience are essential.
- Design and develop processes with the research and development teams from the concept phase through prototype, alpha and beta phases.
- Insure new product development activity is aligned with current and future equipment roadmaps.
- Provide guidance to organization to insure future proofing of manufacturing equipment for new products.
- Drive functional excellence in process development including Process Characterization, Process Validation, Design of Experiments, Prototype Equipment vendor selection, and Validation.
- Coordinate and enable development activity with research, automation and operations engineering teams.
- Develop build and future manufacturing process and lead prototyping work on research team
- Define, direct and manage the early development and prototyping of product and processes.
- High level de-risking of process and output quantities
- High level de-risking of vendor selection
- Lead and support talent management within the department by developing technical capabilities, project management skills and overall skill sets to ensure business needs are met.
- Assist in the timely sourcing of prototyping and early development equipment/tooling and materials required for new products or as a result of process improvement initiatives.
- Assess process capabilities, prioritize process improvement opportunities, and innovate and implement process improvements on multiple and complex processes.
- Apply technical knowledge to innovate, design, and develop processes, procedures, tooling and/or automation.
- Prepare and present technical data and recommendations at technical reviews.
- Write validation protocols and reports applicable to new processes
- Contribute ideas to and/or generate Intellectual Property submissions.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of progressive experience in R&D and engineering environments for process development in the medical device, pharmaceutical or consumer electronics industries
- 5+ years of experience working with some of the following processes/technologies: E- Cig, E- Liquid, Vaping preferred
- 5+ years working in injection molding, small parts assembly, liquid filling, laser welding, ultrasonic welding, plastic/silicone coating, or carton packaging
- 5+ years in an engineering management role
- Strong preference for experience in medical device, pharmaceutical or combo device manufacturing process development
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience in the following areas: Equipment and tooling development, Equipment and Automation, Process Characterization, Design of Experiments (DOE), and design/process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multiple concurrent priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success in designing new products and new processes
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience supporting the design of fixturing, tooling and automated equipment
- Previous experience in working with contract manufacturers and suppliers, domestic and offshore
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines; able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Mechanical preferred)
- Advanced degree preferred
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C
Back to top