Director, Testing Engineering
Director, Testing Engineering
ABOUT JUUL LABS
JUUL was founded by former smokers, James and Adam, with the goal of improving the lives of one billion adult smokers. We envision a world where fewer people use cigarettes, and where people who smoke cigarettes have the tools to reduce or eliminate their consumption entirely, should they so desire.
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Testing, Engineering will be charged with driving the development, optimization and validation of best-in-class in-process manufacturing testing and process and component validation as well as ensuring and driving reliability. He/she will focus on testing and validation with an emphasis on improving quality, reducing process variation, helping reduce cycle time and cost down initiatives. The product lifecycle spans concept into commercialization phase, in addition to actively participating in continuous improvement initiatives. Test process development activities include but are not limited to: Product Characterization, Product Validation, Design of Experiments, Equipment Validation and Six Sigma.
- Direct, develop and coach the Testing department through effective leadership. Lead and support talent management within the department by developing technical capabilities, project management skills and overall skill sets to ensure business needs are met.
- Assist in the timely sourcing of production equipment/tooling and materials required for new products or as a result of process improvement initiatives.
- Coordinate and manage the activities of the department projects to use solid problem-solving methodologies for CAPAs, writing articulate and accurate technical reports suitable for presenting to regulatory bodies
- Drive process development functional excellence in the department to:
- Use Six Sigma, Lean, and Mistake proof methodologies in the development of manufacturing processes to implement processes that are ‘born lean and capable’.
- Collaborate to ensure proper documentation is completed to meet quality systems requirements. (e.g., SOPs, FMEA’s, etc.)
- Provides Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and lean manufacturing input to the engineering print package.
- Assess process capabilities, prioritize process improvement opportunities, and innovate and implement process improvements on multiple and complex processes.
- Apply technical knowledge to innovate, design, and develop processes, procedures, tooling and/or automation.
- Prepare and present technical data and recommendations at technical reviews.
- Write validation protocols and reports applicable to new processes.
- Contribute ideas to or generate Intellectual Property submissions.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10-15 years of progressive experience in the development of manufacturing processes within the medical device, pharmaceutical or consumer electronics industries.
- 10+ years of experience in testing and validation activities.
- 10+ years in an engineering management role
- Strong preference for experience in medical device, pharmaceutical or combo device manufacturing process development
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience in the following areas: Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, Process Characterization, Design of Experiments (DOE), and design/process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple concurrent priorities
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success introducing new products and new processes into a production environment
- Excellent project management skills.
- Previous experience in working with contract manufacturers and suppliers, domestic and offshore.
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines; able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required (preferably electrical engineering with a strong emphasis on mechanical design). Advanced degree preferred.
- Familiarity with ISO13485 and cGMP and GDP practices.
JULLS LABS PERKS & BENEFITS
- Full benefits (medical/dental/vision) for you and subsidized for your dependents
- FSA (flexible spending account)
- 401K Plan
- JUUL Labs observes 9 paid holidays throughout the year plus 3 floating holidays to be used at your discretion
- Three weeks of PTO each benefit year, beginning on your hire date
- Fully stocked snacks and drinks
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products.
Test Director, Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles
Back to top