Director, Global Supply EMS
About JUUL Labs:
James Monsees and Adam Bowen co-founded JUUL when they applied their background in product design to the challenge of finding a better alternative to smoking. They’d been smokers for many years, but they were increasingly dissatisfied with the health and social impacts of cigarettes. When they could find no attractive alternative to cigarettes, James and Adam recognized a groundbreaking opportunity to apply industrial design to the smoking industry, which had not materially evolved in over one hundred years. As smokers, they knew a viable alternative to cigarettes would have to offer nicotine satisfaction found in no other alternative on the market. It would also have to invite its own ritual. The result was JUUL.
The Director, Global Supply, EMS works in close alignment and collaboration with other Global Supply Managers and Program Managers to support the business objectives of JUUL. The Director, GSM, EMS is responsible for the overall management of contract manufacturing partners through the creation and maintenance of multi-year sourcing strategies and their associated project pipelines and source plans. This position is a manager role and will be responsible for managing the EMS GSM team. This position would report to the Vice President of Strategic Sourcing.
Responsibilities also include the selection of suppliers for new sourcing requests, including (re)negotiation of competitive prices, gaining maximum leverage opportunity, and defining (global) supplier contracts. The GSM, EMS maintains an overview on the regional EMS market by conducting frequent benchmarks and builds/maintains up-to-date knowledge about EMS processes, strategies, and industry trends.
- Relationship owner between JUUL and outsourced manufacturing partner(s) including management of cost and delivery performance.
- Responsible for managing the team who plans, negotiates, and contracts with EMS provider(s) and ensuring that agreements reflect JUUL needs globally.
- Strategize multi-year financial accountability for assigned EMS relationships with respect to price targets.
- Responsible for leading teams through the supplier selection process and for the approval of selected suppliers by stakeholders.
- Responsible for application of the source to pay process, inclusive of customer-centric support content and preferred payment methods, as part of sourcing strategies
- Accountable for developing and maintaining risk mitigation plans inclusive of compliance for designated suppliers within assigned category(ies) with businesses or functions
- Drive the sourcing and supplier selection process for outsourced manufacturing solutions to support Engineering, Manufacturing, and Operations goals and objectives.
- Assess market conditions, identify industry best practices and emerging trends to identify new cost reduction and value creation opportunities.
- Negotiate and implement appropriate contracts with suppliers.
- Establish and implement procurement policies to ensure quality, delivery, and cost improvements including KPI’s and scorecards.
- Communicate the demand forecast as necessary to ensure supply continuity, and and capacity availability.
Skills and Experience Required:
- 10-15 years of experience in global and complex (electronics) manufacturing procurement or supply chain management, including experience managing outsourced manufacturing of electro-mechanical devices. Experience with medical devices is a plus.
- Effective management of the entire outsourced manufacturing process; RFP/RFQ, supplier selection, project execution, cost and timing management and project close activities.
- Excellent project management and cross-functional team leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at any level; strong preference for spoken and written Mandarin proficiency.
- Strong analytical, research, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to travel globally, 30-40%.
- Previous experience in working with contract manufacturers, domestic and offshore.
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines; able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary, global teams
- Negotiation skills and contract management experience
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal, preferably in both English and Chinese
Key Attributes Necessary for Success:
- Ability to develop team members.
- Ability to manage senior and junior team members.
- Develop and implement well-thought-out sourcing strategies.
- Ability to drive aggressive implementation plans and schedules.
- Ability to collaborate and partner with key stakeholders within the Engineering and Product Development organization.
- Advanced knowledge of procurement and business operations, systems, organizational structure, performance metrics (KPI) and supply base.
- Technical competence – understanding datasheets/specifications, and manufacturing processes.
- Proficient in common office computer software
- BA/BS Degree; MBA or Master’s degree preferred. Degree in Business Management, Supply Chain Management or Engineering is preferred.
JUUL Perks & Benefits:
- A place to grow in your career, we’ll help you set objectives and meet them
- Supportive team members and hiring managers
- Generous referral bonuses
- Fully stocked snacks and drinks
- We’ll subsidize your monthly cellphone bill
- Discounts on JUUL products/devices
- We’ll equip you with a MacBook or Dell
- Full benefits (medical/dental/vision) for you and subsidized for your dependents
Back to top