JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Senior Battery Engineer at JUUL Labs, you will use your electrical engineering skills and your knowledge and experience in designing and testing of rechargeable “smart” batteries for our products. The ideal candidate will have solid electrical engineering background, in-depth understanding of the operation of rechargeable Li-ion batteries and experience in design, testing, data analysis, design verification and validation of the latest generation smart battery packs, including individual cells, pack safety circuitry, fuel gauging and battery pack assembly and production.
- Provide input to product specifications for performance, system compatibility and testability
- Design battery packs for high volume production with safety fiction, state of charge and state of health algorithms
- Utilize high accuracy EE test equipment and configure and run test setups to collect trustworthy data
- Design comprehensive battery test protocols to characterize all required design parameters
- Provide cutting edge battery performance expertise and advise fellow engineers
- Collaborate with other engineers and technicians to collect, review, analyze and present test data
- Write software scripts to control off-the-shelf and custom test equipment
- Perform design reviews, DFMEA, risk and failure analysis
- Develop scripts for data transfer through DMA, Ethernet, USB, wireless, etc. to data storage equipment
- Manage battery vendors to transfer design into production and implement best production processes and practices
- Monitor the advancements in battery technology, processes and SOC algorithms and advise the team accordingly.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years of hands-on battery experience
- In-depth knowledge of Li-ion battery operation and performance including charging, discharging, safety, impedance, aging, cycle life, temperature effects, failure modes, handling and pack assembly methods, processes and procedures
- Experience collecting reviewing and analyzing all aspects of Li-ion battery related data including fuel gauging
- Solid background with data collection, data storage, data manipulation and analysis
- Proven history designing low power, low noise analog and mixed signal electronics
- Experience programming and working with battery cycling test equipment like Maccor and Arbin
- Proficiency in developing test scripts for parsing and analyzing large amounts of data
- Developing of test procedures from requirement specifications with minimum input from design engineering
- Experience with serial communication protocols like I2C (SMB), UART and single wire HDQ
- Understanding of TI’s Impedance Track, Maxim’s Model Gauge and similar gauging algorithms and their operation
- History measuring highly dynamic loads and low noise signals with high precision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to clearly present data to cross-functional teams and to non-experts
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Experience analyzing existing and new designs and proposing suitable solutions for issues
- Comfortable explaining complex technical issues and justifying technical decisions
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills and entrepreneurial spirit
- Competent with data analysis tools like JMP and MatLab and a variety of office productivity tools
- Ability to work in close cooperation with a cross-functional teams of professionals.
- BSEE/MS preferred
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in either of our technology labs in South San Francisco or Mountain View
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles
Meet Some of JUUL Labs's Employees
Claire O.Mechanical Engineer, Engineering
Working as part of the Product Team, Claire aims to bring a better product to JUUL customers. She works on prototyping, designing, and testing to meet changing customer needs and improve the overall experience.
Back to top