At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Not only do you have the broad extensive knowledge of core web development technologies, but you also have a high level of empathy and interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally in an organization. You can grasp and communicate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences. Being able to see the bigger picture, you bring people together to effectively prioritize, craft, and achieve plans.
As an Engineering Manager within Payments and Tax Unit (PTU) at Justworks, you will oversee a team of Software Engineers and work closely with Product Managers and Operations team members to make complex problems simple, scale systems to handle a growing user base, and automate manual tasks. As the team whose mission is to process payments and payroll taxes accurately and on time, PTU is responsible for mission critical operations that are crucial to Justworks.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Work with the Engineers, Designers, and Product Managers to prioritize, schedule and execute projects so we can quickly develop and ship new features
- Communicate and coordinate with other teams in and out of engineering to understand the requirements and opportunities for improvement
- Provide guidance, both technical and non-technical, to direct reports
- Help recruit, source, interview and hire for the entire engineering team
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Manager of Engineering, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of at least 5 years experience managing a team of engineers
- Demonstrable experience prioritizing, crafting, and achieving plans
- Strong communication skills with ability to grasp and explain complex concepts to both technical and non-technical people
- High levels of empathy and interpersonal skills
- Solid understanding of core web development technologies. i.e. Data structures, data stores, algorithms, distributed systems and common patterns around these frameworks
- ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Redshift, Jenkins, Nagios, CircleCI, DataDog
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.