Staff Human Factors Engineer
- Santa Clara, CA
Robotics & Digital Solutions, part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is recruiting for a Staff Human Factors Engineer, located Santa Clara, CA.
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global leader in surgery with products and solutions found in almost every operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com .
The Staff Robotics and Digital Solutions organization is developing groundbreaking, minimally invasive technologies to improve patient outcomes and healthcare provider experience. The Human Factors team leads contextual research to discover unmet user needs, writes usability specifications and requirements, and iteratively tests with representative users throughout a robust usability engineering process. The position will interact closely with the development team to design and evaluate user interfaces (hardware and software) for medical products including devices, support systems and associated training and instructional elements. As a Staff Human Factors Engineer on the team, you will take a leadership role to elevate extraordinary human factors approaches throughout the organization while providing timely usability insight to the product development teams. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and redefining patient care through innovation. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market in support of our mission.
- BS/BA Degree in Human Factors Engineering (HFE), Usability Engineering, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, or equivalent is required; Post-Graduate Degrees (MS, PhD) are a plus and will be considered as part of the applicant's professional experience.
- Minimum of 6 years' human factors/usability engineering experience/ use case validation testing or equivalent experience in product development and customer interactions is required.
- Experience in the planning and execution of all aspects of the HFE process including ethnographic research, formative and summative studies, documentation for design control and risk management is required.
- Strong knowledge of human factors principles; working knowledge of task and use-related risk analysis methods; basic knowledge of human perception, cognition, anthropometrics, biomechanics, and physiology is required.
- Experience consolidating user feedback into concise, meaningful design insights and actionable recommendations is preferred.
- Experience performing root cause analysis for use-related problems is required.
- Familiarity with FDA, ISO, AAMI, and other relevant usability regulations and standards is required.
- Experience partnering with R&D, Marketing and Development teams to define and act as a guardian in upholding the best usability practices.
- Medical Device product development or experience working in a highly regulated industry is a strong plus.
- Clinical experience and/or professional experience/degrees in software development and/or GUI development is beneficial.
- Ability to travel up to 25%, domestic and international is required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-Santa Clara-5490 Great America Pkwy
United States-California-Redwood City
Auris Health, Inc. (6267)
Back to top