Staff Engineer, R&D (Irvine, CA) - Acclarent, Inc.
- Irvine, CA
The Cardiovascular & SpecialtySolutions (CSS) Group, part of the Medical Devices sector within Johnson & Johnson, is recruiting for aR&D Staff Engineerfor Acclarent, Inc located inIrvine, CA.
The CSS Group consists of six diverse businesses including Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP), Biosense Webster (BWI), Codman Neuro, Mentor, and Sterilmed. The CSS Group serves a diverse base of customers in Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Infection Prevention, Electrophysiology (EP), Neurovascular and Neurosurgery, Surgical and Non-Surgical Aesthetics, and Reprocessing.
Acclarent, Inc. is a medical device company, whose focus is to free patients to live better lives by designing, developing, and commercializing medical devices that address conditions affecting the ear, nose, and throat. Learn more about Acclarent at www.acclarent.com
Acclarent, Inc. is seeking aR&D Staff Engineer who is hands-on and will execute specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective product designs in a team based environment. The ideal candidate has a strong technical leadership background in a regulated industry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Intensive and diversified implementation of knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields
- Independent decision making on engineering problems and methods, and representation of the organization in conferences to resolve important questions and to plan and coordinate work
- Leading development projects core teams as the R&D representative and project lead.
- Leading the engineering team efforts around defining specifications and requirements and performing risk analysis. Translating user needs to performance and usability requirements.
- Writing requirement documents and creating drawings for device architecture and design.
- Acting as Project team leader.
- Performing measurements, creating engineering designs, developing plans and keeping laboratory notebooks on all work.
- Building simulations and models of device and its clinical environment, and leading feasibility studies.
- Guiding all types of technical experts (Software, Hardware, Mechanical designers and others) in design activities.
- Planning and conducting verifications and validations.
- Planning and conducting integration and Proof of Design tests.
- Developing tools for design verification and production testing.
- Performing failure analysis and investigations.
- Conducting tests (Bench, V&V, in vivo), developing and utilizing test protocols and generating written reports.
- Ability and discipline to adhere to schedules and tasks based on instructions/guidance from company leadership.
- Ability to maintain & operate lab equipment, after short training, such as Oscilloscopes, Multimeters, digital microscopes, 3D printers, and CNC machine.
- Develop Test Methods and conduct hands-on bench testing on Products to analyze Performance.
- Multi-task on multiple projects or multiple activities on one project.
- Act as liaison between external vendors and the product development core team
- Mentor Junior engineers to develop technical skills as well as influence skills
- Travel to customer sites, domestic and international, to gather VOC, perform testing and/or perform troubleshooting activities
- Be responsible for communicating business related issues or opportunities to next management level
- Be responsible for ensuring subordinates (if assigned) follow all Company guidelines related to Health, Safety and Environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition
- Be responsible for ensuring personal and Company compliance with all Federal, State, local and Company regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Perform other duties assigned as needed
- A minimum of a Bachelor's of Science degree in relevant discipline and 6-8 years of related engineering experience; or MS in relevant discipline and 4-6 years of related engineering experience; or Ph.D. preferred.
- Has significant complex level engineering experience.
- Experience leading cross functional project teams is preferred.
- Experience in the medical device or aerospace industry would be an asset
- Experience in medical device design, development, testing or manufacturing is highly preferred.
- Working knowledge in using test lab equipment and integration for testing purposes using them is preferred.
- Knowledge of software programming and/or scripting languages is preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in solid modeling or similar CAD design is preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. May be required to work in a clean-room environment.
- This position is located in Irvine CA and may require up to 25% travel internationally/domestically. (Position currently requires frequent travel to Irwindale, CA site until full transition to new Irvine, CA campus).
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Acclarent, Inc. (6206)
Back to top