Senior Scientist, Targeted Protein Degradation - Discovery Chemistry - La Jolla, CA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Scientist, Targeted Protein Degradation in Discovery Chemistry, for our site in La Jolla, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Discovery Sciences group is committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates working with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TAs). This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as a Senior Scientist, Discovery Chemistry. This position will be based at our drug discovery site in La Jolla, CA.
We are seeking an experienced medicinal chemist with outstanding organic synthesis expertise to advance small molecule drug discovery programs toward the clinic, with a focus on generating therapeutics employing targeted degradation strategies. This individual will be a key member of a dynamic and collaborative cross-functional team developing a targeted protein degrader and ubiquitin ligase platform across Janssen.In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and medicinal chemistry challenges within the context of both traditional small molecule and targeted protein degrader-based drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists, biologists, pharmacologists, and pharmaceutical development scientists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes. This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Design and synthesis of chimeric targeted degraders and related resources to enable both general platform and individual program advancement
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards complex molecules using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies
- Independently designing and synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and optimal physicochemical properties
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules
- Generating novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making
- Contributing to defining scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental meetings
- Drafting, executing and serving as lead author on research published in peer reviewed journals, and presenting work at scientific conferences
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- At least 3 years of experience at a pharmaceutical company in medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- Strong track record of achievement in the synthesis of complex molecules and/or synthetic methodology development, with deep knowledge of modern synthetic & analytical techniques is required.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents and presentations is required.
- Experience with computational chemistry methods and biophysical techniques such as X-ray crystallography is preferred
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment is required.
- Experience with targeted protein degradation based medicinal chemistry programs is preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations is required.
- This position is located in La Jolla, CA and may require up to 5% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
North America-United States-California-La Jolla
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top